Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jesse_2008

help ID this jar

jesse_2008
13 years ago

hope these pictures showed up . Can someone please help ID this jar. The wording I believe is Danish, and thats as far as I got. Please Help Sorry about the quality of the pictures. The inscription reads

De Moolenaar.

Den.Heemel geeft, wie vangd die heeft

Staat imands Moolen wel gedraatd

Eyn wicken worden wel bewaaid

En't werek van nooddriift word bedreeven

Wie deddt'er aan Genaade nits,

Die toegekeerd van herten is,

Naa't Eeirwig onophoud'lickGeeven. If I mis spelled anything, My apologies. Thanks in advance

Comments (11)

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

The language is Dutch. The engraving is by Jan Luyken, and the poem is about De Moolenaar, or the miller. Looks like it held jam, preserves, etc.

Rubylane has a series of Delft tiles based on his engravings of various craftsmen, jobs, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: RubyLane Delft

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Windmills give it away that it is Dutch!! Unless you understand the Dutch language! I took German & it didn't look quite like that(what little I remember) someone came on & told me what my saying on German stein was so maybe they can figure out what this one is saying. Good Luck!

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Here's a link to the poem, in rough web-translation.

Here is a link that might be useful: The mill Zandweg

• sunnyca_gw
    13 years ago

Funny & interesting!! I think my shoulder is 'genkeused " too!! Damaged it from carrying heavy purse strap on it- that is a great word to describe it!!I have a book somewhere in my house that I am 1/2 through reading about kids & animals on a boat after dykes(dikes) broke. This person needs a little better understanding of English language!! Reminds me of some of my foreign students & their fractured English but they do well as it is very difficult to figure out-read this book, I read a book. Same word, 2 meanings.

• jesse_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is the mark thats on the bottom of the Jar. Does anyone reconize the mark.Sorry about the picture.I'm working on getting a better camera. You know this is a great site, I just wish I knew just half as much as all of you, you all have been very helpful

• Ideefixe
    13 years ago

Sunnyca, the translation wasn't done by a human--it's computer generated.
    How big is the jar?

• lindac
    13 years ago

I can't see the mark....but the bottom looks like a glass jar....how does the lid go on? Does it have sort of a rubber gasket or does it just sit on?

• jesse_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The Jar is 6 1/4" tall w/lid, it has a plastic gasket around the rim of the jar, the lid slides in and sits on top, the rim of the jar is 3 1/8" hope this helps

• lindac
    13 years ago

My gut says it's not old at all and was originally sold with jam or mustard in it.
    Linda c

• Diana Williford
    9 years ago

I just bought a jar exactly like this at a thrift store a few days ago...It does not look necessarily any older than FireKing stuff...I love Black/White almost anything...I will be using it for sugar for me tea or maybe just to hold tea.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Cold cream jar???