Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrinka_fido

waned Luggage-got Daniel Long Violin inside

Katrinka_Fido
9 years ago

Spring has sprung & it's g/sale time! I love old trunks, wood boxes & luggage for display/storage. It had a working lock mechanism/clasps(needs some cleaning) but would be a perfect size piece I was looking for. Then I saw the instrument inside think what to do with this? wall art? donate? & then the net search after seeing label inside. I've found 3 others & mention of a 4th but none have the tension? pegs mounted as this one is or have I ever found another similar(I mean the pegs positioned NOT protruding at sides). The inside label says: This Violin is Hand Made by DANIEL LONG, Brookville, Pa., with solid back rim, will not tear loose as two pieces will at the block, and the neck is grooved into the front rim and extends under the breast into the block. Full lined. No. 54 Made in 1911. So, now I'm 2nd guessing wall art. As I said... just wanted the box now faced with WHAT DO I HAVE HERE?? Any guestimate if any value Or other deep thought? As always, thanks in advance.

Comments (11)

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

That's not wall art. That's a real violin and a pretty one at that. I notice there are 2 bows in the case as well. In rare instances, the bow is worth more than the instrument. You should get it appraised before messing with it. Also, it would be a good idea to find out how well it plays. Have an experienced player try it out and give an opinion about its tonal quality and volume.

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

You have an antique violin made ca 1894. The note below was copied from a web site

Quote:

Appendix: 1
    Daniel Long Violin No. 14 of 1894
    This violin is owned by Robert and Joyce (Lillie) McCullough of Brookville,
    Pennsylvania. The violin is in excellent playing condition and is in nice physical
    condition. It has been used by the owner for lessons and has been favorably commented
    upon by her instructor, who also owns a Long violin.
    This violin was viewed at the Jefferson County Historical Center in Brookville on
    Wednesday January 24, 2007 and was measured and photographed. Although the length
    and body dimensions are fairly standard, the violin has a heftier feel in the hand. The
    neck feels larger (diameter) in the hand and the strings seem to be farther apart at the nut.
    The instrument seemed to produced a darker creamy tone. There was no dimpling around
    the F holes as on some of Sol RoachâÂÂs violins and the belly and bottom boards seemed to
    have large rises on the contours through the middle of the instrument in relation to the
    edges.
    The builderâÂÂs tag was commercially printed:
    âÂÂThis violin is Hand Made by Daniel Long Brookville
    (?) Solid back rim, will not tare loose as
    two pieces will at the back, and the neck is grooved into
    the front and extends under the breast in the block
    Full lined No. 14 Made 1894âÂÂ
    Dimensions:
    Total length: 23 and üâÂÂ
    Body length: 14âÂÂ
    Upper bout: 6 and 15/16âÂÂ
    Middle bout: 4 and 5/8âÂÂ
    Lower bout: 8 and 9/16âÂÂ
    F hole length: 2 and 15/16âÂÂ
    F hole outside to outside: 3 and 15/16âÂÂ
    Inside to inside: 3 and üâÂÂ
    The Jefferson County Historical Center also contains Long violin No. 4 made in 1892.
    They also have some of his tools and forms, which I was unable to view or photograph.
    Jefferson County Historical Center
    PO Box

Unquote.

The Jefferson County Histroical Center may be able provide you with more information.

• colleenoz
    9 years ago

Er, jemdandy, you can read on the label in the photo posted by Katrinka it says at the end, "No 54, made 1911".

• jemdandy
    9 years ago

Didn't see the date on the label, however, made in 1911 is over 100 yrs ago. You still have an excellent find.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

These have a very limited market, but it's an active one.

There are dealers in vintage instruments ... search Google and find them, send them photos of violin, bows and contents of the box.

They might take it on consignment, they might buy it direct. They might, as someone said, pay more for the bows than the violin.

• nhb22
    9 years ago

WOW...some garage sale find. I cannot believe that someone would be selling THAT at a GS. Please tell us what you paid for your suitcase/box?

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

WHOAH!!!!! Value on a playable vintage violin or fiddle ... $150 - 15,000+ depending on condition, tone and reputation of the maker.

So it's worth taking your time to research and find a good dealer, someone who can restore any small problems and show it off well.

http://www.amati.com

"Amati offers a free online valuation of your instrument. We try to bring the flexibility of online valuations with the peace of mind of further research in person if necessary. "

they also have a list of violin dealers if you want to go consignment.
    http://www.amati.com/music-shops/dealers/type-dealer/country-/page-1.html?keyword=

If this were mine, FIRST I'd get an on-line appraisal from Amati, for a ball-park idea of what musicians are willing to pay for Long's work.

Maybe Long was a bad maker? Maybe his are highly sought after ... they'll know.

THEN I'd take it to someone who specializes in violin restoration and resale, get a hands-on appraisal, and leave it on consignment.

It will take time, but you will get the best price that way, compared to tossing it up on eBay or Craigslist.

• lovemrmewey
    6 years ago

I believe that someone has modified/changed the pegs. Notice his pegs are positioned in a usual way in the photos above. In the case, there is a small paper package front labeled 'Becker Never Slip Pegs' illustrating this type of peg mount. The silver pieces must have been applied by Mr Long or a subsequent owner. Personally, I have never seen this on an instrument. Looks to be a rather clumsy instrument to play. The fingerboard and tail piece look to be ebony as they should be. Would love to see the 'one-piece back'.

There are actually three bows in the case. One at least has a frog with detached hair base. The one wrapped in plastic looks to have a paper attached - perhaps with a note? The long white thin white piece/tube is probably a holder for strings that are not sent coiled in a small pouch. The chin piece on above photo looks very uncomfortable! Would like to see more photos.

• PRO
    Sombreuil
    6 years ago

You can't go back to tapered pegs once machine heads have been installed.

Machine heads apparently were hallmarks of very cheap fiddles.

Casey

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    6 years ago

Sombreuil, not necessarily! Machine pegs mean the tuning is less likely vary due to slippage of the pegs, or the pegs slip due to contraction or expansion of the wood.

My brother (string bass player) owns 3 string basses, and prefers to use the one with machines for that reason. His very costly bass is no cheap instrument.

They are much more common on larger stringed instruments, however. When I played cello I really wanted one with machine pegs but couldn't find one.

A violin could easily be overtuned and snap a string used by an inattentive player. Maybe that's why you see fewer violins with those.