Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blossomaddict

Scary Lamps! Possibly Art Deco?

blossomaddict
10 years ago

And the attic clean out continues . . .

Hubby brought home these lamps and said they were from the 1920s. Quite frankly, there is something about them that is disquieting. I have them turned to the wall so I don't have to look at them, lol. If anyone can help me figure out what they are, I'd be most appreciative. He insists we keep them as they might be valuable, but they do have some damage and I'd like to toss them. There is a pair - male and female. They seem to be made of some type of [painted] plaster. They are signed on the back with "L Benigni" and some additional lettering that I'm not sure of. I'll have to put the pictures in several posts as I can't seem to attach more than one at a time.

This post was edited by blossomaddict on Tue, May 7, 13 at 1:29

Comments (10)

• blossomaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the male lamp figure.

• blossomaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the signature on the back of the lamps.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Oh wow ... 1950s chalkware figures. Cast plaster, usually, occasionally fired and glazed porcelain.

Look for "Siamese dancer" or "Thai dancer" lamps
    http://pinterest.com/TikiTiger/mid-century-lamps/

Yours, being solid painted, not the fancy gilt costumes, would be worth a lot less than most to a collector.

• blossomaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. Your answer was amazingly helpful. Now that I know what they are (chalkware) I was able to do some further research and I suspect they are lamps from Reglor of California. Reglor produced lamps, typically in male/female pairs utilizing the same paint colors as shown on my pair. They didn't use gilding as far as I can tell, but following your suggestion to google "Siamese Dancers", I did find a similar pair with the gilding. I can't verify the stamp either, since the bottom of the lamps is covered in green felt and I don't want to start pulling them apart. There may be a California connection somewhere as I also have several pairs of earrings purchased at J. Magnin's Department Store in San Franciso (they still have the original tags attached) that were in the attic with the lamp.

I found this link to helpful: http://www.citysalvage.com/reglor/

Now the question is what the heck do I do with them?

• Fori
    10 years ago

Put them back in the attic? :)

• calliope
    10 years ago

I also thought fifties when I saw the picture. There were some gosh-awful designs from that era. I was poking around in my folk's stuff for a pair of green tiger lamps I remembered from my childhood. Thought they'd be sort of camp, but alas they appear to have been long gone. Chalk ware is so fragile, intact and undamaged pieces are hard to come by anymore and there is some collectable value to them if still in good condition. I found a set of chalk ware urns on a museum website an exact duplicate of the pair I have on my kitchen mantle now. They were a wedding gift to my in-laws when they were married in 1935.

• blossomaddict
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Unfortunately, Fori, no can do. The house is being sold (the reason for the cleanout). Looks like I'm stuck with them for the time being! Now that I know what they are, I can't in good conscience, throw them out.

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

The female appears to have broken?

These do have a niche market, but value is basically what people will pay for them in a particular area.

They would work very well in a James Mont type interior.

• Sylvia Williams
    3 years ago

My aunt had these lamps (female). She told me I could have them but after she passed they disappeared. Often thought about them and started searching and here it is!! Wow! Would give anything to have them.