Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justme4now

Mount Washington Glass?

justme4now
13 years ago

Linda

You know just about as much as anyone I've ever known about glass, silver and antiques.

I have a set of salt and peppers that have this similar design and I know that they are mount washington but I can't find a match for this bowl.

What do you think?

Thank You

Comments (8)

• sjarz
    13 years ago

I couldn't agree more that Linda is without a doubt an amazing fountain of knowledge on antiques in general and glass in particular.
    I don't know if this helps, but there is a similar bowl on ebay at the moment, I have posted the link below.
    Your bowl is just awesome, btw.
    Suzan J

Here is a link that might be useful: Mt Washington Peachblow Bride's Basket

• lindac
    13 years ago

Not Mt Washington Peachblow.
    Mt W. Peachblow is the same throughout, not cased, or lined and never decorated.
    there are 3 distinct types of Victorian Peachblow glass. They were made by Mt Washington, Wheeling and New England Glass company. Mt Washington only produced Peachblow for 2 years.
    What you have appears to be pink satin glass....and I can't tell if it's old or one of the many reproductions made without feeling it. If it is old, it probably had a silver plated holder to make it a "bride's basket"...but it's very very rare to find the glass without the silver carrier...much more common to find the silver, repleted and married to another much newer piece of glass.
    If you can't find the shape of a piece of glass documented in a book, it's not Mt Washington Peachblow....as there was so little of it made.
    And that "bride's basket" for sale on ebay isn't either....why do you think there is only $68 bid? Because it's not what they say.
    anyhow....remember the Bard's words about a rose....by any other name smells as sweet. Your bowl is lovely...but not worth upwards from $10,000.
    Linda c

• lindac
    13 years ago

You didn't ask if it was mt W Peachblow...but just if it was Mt Washington glass!
    Could be...but the decoration doesn't look like What I know as Mt Washington...but that's just a "doesn't look like it to me" sort of opinion. There were lots of glass works making satin glass and that sort of stuff in the day....and lots of repros over the years....but that doesn't look like an American repro. but I hear there were some very good repros which were made in Italy mid century.
    Let's see the salt and peppers!

• azelismia
    13 years ago

I am a year late to this party but this is Bohemian satin glass. it is original Victorian.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Alezimia....why do you say Bohemian when there was so much of that type of glass made in the US? What about its ays Bohmenian to you?
    Just seeking to expand my knowledge.
    Linda C

• azelismia
    13 years ago

actually there wasn't a lot of it made in the US. There is a common misconception that there was. But most of what we have over here is from England and Bohemia. Bohemian glass was often attributed to other companies because we had so little information about it during the cold war eras. Harrach glass for instance is often attributed to Mt Washington and Webb. it's distinctive markings have been attributed to both houses at different times but it's neither it's from Bohemia.
    the crimp and decoration on this piece are both typical of that region. Although, I admit it could be stourbridge region of england as well. That crimp is often seen on European pieces. the details are too small but I'd be willing to bet there are small tells of gilding on the yellow parts of the enamel. the yellow was a base enamel commonly to hold gilding. when the gilding rubs off the yellow/pink or purple enamel is often all that is left. and Finally the actual Style of gilding, the patterns used are typical bohemian motifs. the little dots the center pattern of flowers.

Europe imported thousands and thousands of pounds of glass into the USA each year. We were one of the main consumers of the stuff.

• lindac
    13 years ago

What time period are you talking about with all the European glass.

• azelismia
    13 years ago

1860's to 1920's. with the majority of it in the 1880-1910 region. the wars put many of the glass houses out of business or into a serious decline.