Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas on selling an old journal

Posted by omi496 (My Page) on
Thu, May 20, 10 at 0:12

I have a hard covered, handwritten journal by NYC Firefighters dated September 1896 to January 1897. The entries were of the daily activities in a NYC firehouse. I prefer not to deal with E-bay, have donated several to museums, contacted sellers of firefighting collectables and memorabilia via the internet to no success. I would like to sell this one. How do I reach interested persons? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas on selling an old journal

Consider making high-resolution scans of the pages and selling it as a book on LuLu.com

If you add some photos from that era and some commentary you could have an interesting book and make more than selling the book itself would bring.

Then you can donate it to a museum and take the tax deduction, and keep selling the books.

o

Thank you for the suggestion.

o

There are many who collect old journals, and probably alot of people who collect old firefighting memorbilia. I bet someone like that would love to have it. I'd do an online search for those types of collectors and approach them that way, let them know what you have. Also, do some reasearch on similar items to find out what yours is worth, or get it appraised by someone who deals with those things.

o

Also, check through the entries for anything that might be of historical or social interest (something akin to the 1911 Triangle shirtwaist factory fire or a call to the home of an important person of the era). Anything like that could spark an interest in the journal.

o

Contact a genealogical or historical society in New York City.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here