Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
old vase found buried

Posted by aagnak (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 23:06

hi, found an old vase that has pictures of what appears to be some wise men discussing some sort of scrolls, looks to be Chinese?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
I have pictures but i can`t see where to upload them here.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: old vase found buried

Open an account on Photobucket or another file share place and follow directions.
Can't tell a thing without pictures.

o

vase

o

Photobucket

o
other side

Photobucket

o
diff

Photobucket

o

How about a picture of the bottom and then down into the inside of it.
You say buried....in the ground? Or in the back of a closet. It doesn't appear to be discolored.

o

in the ground

Photobucket

o

Wow....I sure don't "know"...but if I had to guess I would say Chinese...because I don't know what else it could be. Porcelain because it's not discolored in any way and a softer paste would absorb color from the soil.
But the design is not like anything I know and there is no mark....
It looks hand painted....can you tell if it is?

o

It looks to me like it could be hand painted, and it has some gild on it also, as you can see in the second and second last pic`s.
It`s much brighter in colour than those photos show tho...and the top has been broken off.
I`m interested in what these guys are discussing.

Thanks Linda.

o

Having just toured a museum of Islamic art, I'd say that the images look more Middle Eastern than Far Eastern. The writing looks more like Arabic than Chinese, since it goes horizontally, not vertically.

o

I believe it is Satsuma, a Japanese earthenware. I have had pieces similar to this in my shop. The decoration on the base looks a bit like an Imari design, which is also Japanese.

o

thanks Dovetales, do you have any more info?

o

I think the pattern, the man with the beard, is too large for Satsuma, and Satsuma ware was most always marked. But also Satsuma was made in many different places and by many different factories over the course of almost 200 years....so most anything is possible.
Would love to see the place wehre the top was broken off...that might tell if it's porcelain or earthenware.
Linda C

o

Linda is correct, there are so many different patterns and forms for Satsuma, though I have dealt with many pieces that were not marked. I just checked Satsuma on ebay, it may be a good way for you to see pieces that have some likeness to your item.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here