Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aagnak

old vase found buried

aagnak
13 years ago

hi, found an old vase that has pictures of what appears to be some wise men discussing some sort of scrolls, looks to be Chinese?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I have pictures but i can`t see where to upload them here.

Comments (14)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Open an account on Photobucket or another file share place and follow directions.
    Can't tell a thing without pictures.

• aagnak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• aagnak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• aagnak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• aagnak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

• lindac
    13 years ago

How about a picture of the bottom and then down into the inside of it.
    You say buried....in the ground? Or in the back of a closet. It doesn't appear to be discolored.

• aagnak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

in the ground

• lindac
    13 years ago

Wow....I sure don't "know"...but if I had to guess I would say Chinese...because I don't know what else it could be. Porcelain because it's not discolored in any way and a softer paste would absorb color from the soil.
    But the design is not like anything I know and there is no mark....
    It looks hand painted....can you tell if it is?

• aagnak
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It looks to me like it could be hand painted, and it has some gild on it also, as you can see in the second and second last pic`s.
    It`s much brighter in colour than those photos show tho...and the top has been broken off.
    I`m interested in what these guys are discussing.

Thanks Linda.

• suero
    12 years ago

Having just toured a museum of Islamic art, I'd say that the images look more Middle Eastern than Far Eastern. The writing looks more like Arabic than Chinese, since it goes horizontally, not vertically.

• Dovetales
    12 years ago

I believe it is Satsuma, a Japanese earthenware. I have had pieces similar to this in my shop. The decoration on the base looks a bit like an Imari design, which is also Japanese.

• aagnak
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks Dovetales, do you have any more info?

• lindac
    12 years ago

I think the pattern, the man with the beard, is too large for Satsuma, and Satsuma ware was most always marked. But also Satsuma was made in many different places and by many different factories over the course of almost 200 years....so most anything is possible.
    Would love to see the place wehre the top was broken off...that might tell if it's porcelain or earthenware.
    Linda C

• Dovetales
    12 years ago

Linda is correct, there are so many different patterns and forms for Satsuma, though I have dealt with many pieces that were not marked. I just checked Satsuma on ebay, it may be a good way for you to see pieces that have some likeness to your item.