Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
antique rostfrei silverware

Posted by janzma (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 27, 09 at 22:23

we found a bunch of silverware wanting to learn something about it the name on the silverware reads "gebr grah, solingen odysseuswerk a.g." rostfrei some of them say alpaka #40 any help in finding out how old and what they might be worth would be helpful, thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: antique rostfrei silverware

Rostfrei (Rust Free) translates to "Stainless" when it's stamped on cutlery & silverware. Alpaka is a white metal - not a silver composite as it sometimes implies, but it can be used as a base metal for plating; #40 may or may not be reference to the grade (thickness) of the plating. Solingen is in Germany but I'm not familiar with the maker. As to the age, it's hard to say because stainless has been used on table knives since the 1920's but perhaps you can google "Gebr Grah" or "Odysseuswerk" & find a date range. Unless it's an extremely rare design, alpaca isn't worth much. HTH

o

gebr = "gebruder" translates to brothers. So I read it as Grah Brothers.
Casey

o

I received 6 placesettings of sterling silver for a wedding gift in 1962. I wish to buy more but I haven't been able to find it anywhere on the web. The knife blades have a stamp of Rostfrei Solingen and the silverware pieces have a mark: M120 and on the left side, a bird with a crown perched on an A (or the A could be bird legs!) Any anyone help me with this?

o

Pictures would make an ID much more likely.
Linda C

o

Odysseuswerk,,translates to the "Odysseus works".

In the steel industry a mill is called a works...thus Odysseus works" would be the mill where the product was made.

In this case it was made in the Odyseus works of Solengen steel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here