Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janzma

antique rostfrei silverware

janzma
14 years ago

we found a bunch of silverware wanting to learn something about it the name on the silverware reads "gebr grah, solingen odysseuswerk a.g." rostfrei some of them say alpaka #40 any help in finding out how old and what they might be worth would be helpful, thanks

Comments (7)

• antiquesilver
    14 years ago

Rostfrei (Rust Free) translates to "Stainless" when it's stamped on cutlery & silverware. Alpaka is a white metal - not a silver composite as it sometimes implies, but it can be used as a base metal for plating; #40 may or may not be reference to the grade (thickness) of the plating. Solingen is in Germany but I'm not familiar with the maker. As to the age, it's hard to say because stainless has been used on table knives since the 1920's but perhaps you can google "Gebr Grah" or "Odysseuswerk" & find a date range. Unless it's an extremely rare design, alpaca isn't worth much. HTH

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

gebr = "gebruder" translates to brothers. So I read it as Grah Brothers.
    Casey

• Patryan
    12 years ago

I received 6 placesettings of sterling silver for a wedding gift in 1962. I wish to buy more but I haven't been able to find it anywhere on the web. The knife blades have a stamp of Rostfrei Solingen and the silverware pieces have a mark: M120 and on the left side, a bird with a crown perched on an A (or the A could be bird legs!) Any anyone help me with this?

• lindac
    12 years ago

Pictures would make an ID much more likely.
    Linda C

• lazypup
    12 years ago

Odysseuswerk,,translates to the "Odysseus works".

In the steel industry a mill is called a works...thus Odysseus works" would be the mill where the product was made.

In this case it was made in the Odyseus works of Solengen steel.

• suzieputterman
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

My mom was given a spoon, fork, knife and napkin ring all of the same lightweight metal and all engraved with her name. She said these were gifts to her at the time of her birth(79 years ago). The knife had markings...Gebr Grah, Solingen odysseuswerk, A.-G, Rost FREY(or I). It was very difficult to get all the letters visualized so some may be incorrect. I see a comment above with the same markings but the responses to that post were quite vague. I would like very specific information if I can get it as I know not much about vintage or other objects. Does anyone know what this means? Where from? Any and all help I can get is greatly appreciated. Thanks very much!! Suzie

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Name of the Company: Brothers Gra, Solingen (town in Northrhine-Westphalia, called city of blades beause it's famous for its manufacturers of swords, knives, scissors, etc, starting in the middle ages.); Odysseus Factory, AG (means Aktiengesellschaft, i.e. share corporation, meaning it's owned by shareholders and can be publicly traded).

Rostfrei is rust free, so stainless steel.

Gebr. Grah also manufactured steel helmets and daggers for the military during WWII, but don't seem to be in business anymore. If you look on ebay, there is vintage silverware on auction.

Found references to the company (e.g. pamphlets, old shares), dating to 1916, 1930, 1935.