Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you help identify this cup

Posted by 61Blazer (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 25, 12 at 22:03

My wife and I have this old cup from either her or my great grandmother. It has no writing except 1589 molded on the bottom of the cup and 94 stamped or written above it. Any help would be appreciated.

Photobucket

Cup, 1589 molded on bottom with 94 written above it

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you help identify this cup

Probably German...or Bavarian or Austrian...likely dating about the turn of the century....and I believe it was a shaving mug.
Linda C

o

I think Linda's got it pegged. Very feminine looking for shaving mug, but could be it was made to coordinate with other toilette articles for the bedchamber. It was definitely not made with a lip for drinking.

o

It may be a shaving mug for m'lady's legs. Its not built for drinking and the design is feminine. It would have been used with either a straight razor or safety razor, and a bar of shaving soap plus a soft applicator brush.

o

Back in the early 1900's "m'lady" didn't shave her legs.....she wore stockings.

Never could exactly figure out why a man needed a mug in order to shave.....

o

My Daddy used a mug, a bar of shaving soap and brush. It's messy when you swirl it around to soap up. I suppose women griped back then too when men left messes. Something needed to contain it. I have saved my father's little shaving mirror, mug and brush.

Women didn't shave their legs in those days. Even women my mother's age were convinced it made carpets out of your legs. LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here