Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thoughts about these lamps?

Posted by newhomebuilder (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 21:58

Could these possibly be pewter? Worth more than $25? I realize that they would need to be re-wired and have new shades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bronze/pewter lamps

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thoughts about these lamps?

My thoughts? I think you should go get them!

o

Any reason? :) :)

o

Too far for me to get?

o

OK, I need a hint please. :) What do y'all think they are...pewter?

o

Reasons? 1) I think they're kinda cool looking, different 2) with a more modern shade they'll have an interesting ying/yang thing going and I think that'll be great in your home 3) just because they're old doesn't necessarily mean they have to be re-wired but even if they do, that's not a break the bank expense (and you could probably do it yourself) 4) when all is said and done, you have something you won't find in Home Goods or Pottery Barn - not that I don't love them both for certain things, but you know what I mean.

o
Lamps

OK, I'll email the seller. He says they are 30" tall. If that measurement is to the socket top, then they will be tall enough for my bedside tables once a shade is added. If it's to the top of the harp, they won't be. From the camera angle, they appear to be short. I wish people would quit taking photos with their phones.

o
RE: adjusting these lamps?

If you like them and they're heavy enough, you can add an extended neck portion to make them taller.(there's a proper name for that, I just don't know it)

o

Most likely not pewter...that kind of fancy decoration wasn't often done in pewter. But who cares? it's not the metal but the design you are buying....they are lovely lamps. not sure if they are antique but well worth the $25 they are asking...if I lived close I would buy them.
They are most likely an alloy called white bronze by some.
Take pictures when you get them...I would be interested to see the cord and the top....wondering if they have been made out of a pair of candlesticks.
Linda C

o

Are you a collector of lamps, or in general? I buy because I usually like something, not because of it's value. For $30 you can't go wrong, and I don't have a clue if they're pewter, but pretty. ;o)

o

Just wanted to let y'all know that the guy left a phone number only. Additionally, I found out from the phone number that he lives in the boonies. I have been too busy today to arrange seeing them. Will contact after Easter and see if the lamps are still available and if they are the correct size. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here