Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilmbg

Kling cherry bedroom set

ilmbg
15 years ago

I have a full bedroom set that was my parent's. It is Kling from late 40's (I will get the number off of the back later).

Cherry

Double dresser with mirror

Man's chest(four smaller drawers on top, with 4 larger drawers beneath)

Cheval mirror for the man's chest

2 night tables

Headboard

It is in very good condition.

I asked an antique dealer in Denver what I should do with it- sell it-???

They advised me to keep it, as the prices are going up on these complete sets.

What do you think?

TIA

Comments (8)

• Ideefixe
    15 years ago

I don't see much demand for complete sets here in LA, much less furniture from the 1940s. Check your local Craigslist to see what people buy. If you like it, keep it, but I doubt that there's much value in the set.

• moonshadow
    15 years ago

This should help you out a bit:
    KlingInfo.com Blog. It's a site dedicated to Kling and some bedroom suite prices are mentioned in the blog. The blog's author appears to be a Kling family member. The site's homepage is here, interesting to see what original prices on their products were! ;-)

My Craig's list (Chicago metro, covering city and into rural areas of Il, Ind) has had two Kling sets come up in recent years, asking price was $2000 to $2500. Neither set probably got that price because the ads ran for quite some time. Before the economy tanked, in my area it might fetch as high as $1800 (provided your buyer that wants and appreciates it for what it is shows up). In this economy, no one is willing to spend much on anything.

Were I in your shoes I would do one of two things: keep it, use it, enjoy it. It's very good quality that you won't see in furniture stores today. Or keep it in good shape with intent to sell when economy rebounds. You'll definitely get a higher price in that scenario compared to now, in my humble opinion.

• calliope
    15 years ago

I had a beautiful solid cherry bedroom suite my parents gave me to set up housekeeping with. I sold it some years later and regretted it. I have shopped for such suites since, and they just don't make it like that anymore and they are quite dear. Even the most expensive new suites seen to have cheap wood where you can't see it. The last time I was shopping for a new dining set the dealer swore it was solid, but was embarrassed when I lay on the floor and slid under the furniture to see it from all angles. LOL. It wasn't.

It isn't an antique now, but it's on the verge and one day, if the suite isn't split up or banged to heck, it will be somebody's very cherished heirloom. Unless you really need the room or the money, I'd be so tempted to let it grace a spare bedroom rather than 'give it away'.

• ilmbg
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did look at Craigs List- the nearest big city is Denver- 500 miles. There is a single headboard/footboard and a single nightstand for $500- the very same as mine. I think I will hang on to it- it isn't my 'kind of style' at all- I like modern, but it is in perfect shape, and can just sit there!! Thanks

• blueheron
    15 years ago

Funny you should mention Kling furniture. I have a Kling cherry bedroom suite that was bought in the 1950's and is still in use by my husband and me.

It has a carved seashell in the middle drawers of the dresser and chest of drawers. The finish is a problem because it marks very easily. If I had the money, I would have it refinished..lol

• jfacam_aol_com
    13 years ago

I have a seven piece cherrywood bedroom set. From the early 50s. That was my parents, that is in excellent condition. If you come across anyone that is looking for one, I will take $1000 for it. But they would have to pay the shipping.

• Janice Nimmo
    3 years ago

where is the picture?

• maifleur03
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Janice Nimmo the previous posts are from 2011 and before. Because of changes in the computer system that was used some pictures either no longer post or there is a blank block where they used to be.