Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying old chair

Posted by redbyyrd (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 08 at 21:34

I found this chair in a deceaseds garage a few years back in northern Michigan. My wife would like to throw it out. Does anyone know how I can identify this chair.

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll20/redbyyrd/oldchair.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: Old chair jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying old chair

Not sure what you mean by identify it. It's old....not sure how old, can't see it that well. Looks like a leather seat and lots of dirt Captain's chair style. Looks like there is some painting on the back.
I don't think you should throw it out, I think is could be very nice, but I can't identify it as to era maker or much else.
Linda C

o

A side view showing the profile of the arms might be helpful.

o

Your chair looks about 1900 to maybe 1910--I'd say right about in the middle, in a style that was often labeled Empire Revival, even though the claw feet & gussied-up vase-shaped splat bear about as much resemblace to authentic Empire pieces as do today's 'Tuscan' kitchens to any actual kitchens in Tuscany. But, hey it's a free country, and people can call stuff anything they want.

The wood is probably red-stained mahogany or maybe birch pretending it's mahogany and the little painted ornaments--or maybe they're decals--look like they're supposed to be an allusion to the gilt bronze mounts that the real thing would have had, although not in those locations, since they would have snagged the clothing or hair of whover sat in this chair.

As far as maker goes, I have no idea. Empire Revival was a popular style a hundred years ago, so a lot of companies were making similar stuff and in the last few years, it's been reproduced by Milling Road and, if I'm not mistaken, Ralph Lauren. At any rate, it's not just old, it's now an official antique.
1910 room

At any rate, here's a photo of a room with just such a chair, and although you can't see much, you can see it's the same basic idea. M.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here