Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmkatz

Okeefe and Merritt burner problems

farmkatz
13 years ago

I don't know if I should be asking this on this particular forum. I apologize if not. I have an O'Keefe and Merritt stove from early 50's. Have been using it for 25 years. Until recently I did not have the stove top pilot lights lit because it takes a long time for the burners to ignite so it was just easier to turn on a knob and stick a match to it. When the pilot light is on, occasionally the burners will ignite right away but most of the time I an smell propane long before the burners ignite. And when they do, they light with a whoosh - flame on! Decided it's time to sell the house and thought it would be a nice touch if the burners lit without a match! We now have the pilot lights on and cannot figure out why the burners ignite quickly some of the time but more often than not it takes forever. The burners are definitely getting propane to them, we can smell it, and we an even see the flame at the side of the simmer ring. The burners just don't go ahead and ignite. Everything has been cleaned inside and out. I hate the electronic ignition on the newer stoves and I don't really expect this one to light like a new stove anyway, however, the Okeefe and Merritt takes so long it scares me to death. Anyone know what is wrong?

Comments (4)