Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdvogt

Identifying this Hummell

sdvogt
10 years ago

My mother inherited this hummel from my great aunt. It is unusually painted, and has all the correct markings as a Hummell on the bottom. Can anyone give me a direction where we can get this appraised? or if you know anything about such and unusual item?

Comments (6)

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

Something tells me this was an unpainted ceramic Hummel "blank" from back in the days when many ladies - and probably your great aunt - took home china/ceramic painting classes. It was a popular genteel hobby for ladies going back to Victorian times. Blanks and painting kits are still available today.

My Mother did a lot of it in the 50's. She was artistic and had a beautiful hand at delicate florals for blank plate borders as well as for candy dishes and assorted decorative table top accessories.

If I'm correct about your piece, any value would be sentimental.

• jemdandy
    10 years ago

The piece is unusual. One foot is bare and the other has a shoe.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Hummell "Weary Wanderer" #204 is the figure.

But yours is the wrong color: the factory issue ones I can find have a red bodice, not green. And the paint on yours is heavier - no shading like the others.

• duluthinbloomz4
    10 years ago

There's a whole Google image page plus on this "Weary Wanderer 204". All of them have the delicate painting and shading which makes a Hummel almost instantly recognizable. This piece does not have those characteristics.

If this wasn't originally a blank for the home hobbyist china painter, I'll be most surprised. Someone at a somewhat decent antique store or a giftware type shop that carries all the collectible lines - like Lladro, Hummel, etc. etc. would be able to tell you immediately what you've got... or in effect, what you don't have.

I don't know what the stuff is called these days - greenware, slipware, bisque blanks? In my Mother's day, a few of the ladies would gather and paint their pieces and the instructor had all the necessary equipment to fire them, etc. etc.

It's still an easy craft to look up on the internet - or at a place like Michaels to see all the equipment and necessary supplies.

Edited to add. My intention is not to rain on your parade.

This post was edited by duluthinbloomz4 on Tue, Apr 22, 14 at 15:05

• justlinda
    10 years ago

Might help a little more if you could show the bottom of the figurine.

• ReBe231
    9 years ago

This doesn't look like genuine MI Hummel. Does it have markings? The colors are not like any MI Hummel I have eve seen. I have a couple hundred of them and they all have distinct, muted colors.