Posted by zeffyrose_pa6b7 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 14, 10 at 19:21

Just wondered if this has any value---

Thanks---

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Value of old Hostess Ware-----

Of course!!
It's old 1930's kitch....there is always a demand, just because it's not "fine china" and was often discarded....what's left is sought after.
Check on line and don't forget eBay.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Butter dish

o

There is a posting on ebay of this very item, the seller says it's a syrup set; I have no knowledge of the item personally.
No bids but it is listed at $45.
I've posted the link if anyone's interested.
Suzan J

Here is a link that might be useful: Hostess Ware Syrup Set on Ebay

o

Syrup set???? LOL!
It's for milk and cream....milk for your cereal and cream for your coffee.
Linda C

o

Okay. I'll bite. What's a "batter"? The only thing I can think of is something to put pancake/waffle batter in. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless your cooking your breakfast at the table.

o

I think the person who was selling the set on ebay was fishing for a logical use for 2 different sized pitchers....and chose the wrong one!

o

It is a butter and syrup set. I had one kinds like that but in different design.

o

I disagree....milk and cream. I never heard of serving butter in a pitcher.
That set is from the very very early days of my childhood, the milk for your cereal or tea and cream for your coffee or cereal if that's what you liked was served in a pitcher on the table and my grandmother had a spooner of spoons but my mother had a flat spoon stacker.

o

Accodrning to my HOT KITCHEN and Home COLLECTIIBLES of the 30'40'50' this set is a Batter set if you set it on the stove or Syrup set if you decide to set it on the table.. The book mentions they are mistaken for milk or tea sets. Value is between $45-$65 they were popular in the mail order catalogs.

o

Actually, I've seen drawn butter served in restaurants along with warmed syrup for pancakes and waffles. It's been many years but but they were served in stainless steel pitchers. I still don't know about this particular set though.

o

I have see them in some old family resturants. My mom had a set, not like this brand or design she always had it sitting on the table. One with melted butter other with pure maple. I had one but never had the plate for it and it was missing a lid
Pris i have seen the ones your talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here