Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery antique plates/platters

Posted by jlc712 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 2, 10 at 19:11

I was given these beautiful plates by my MIL, and she got them from an estate on Long Island. They appear to be very very old, and hand painted. They are quite heavy. The two platters have been broken and professionally repaired with some type of staple, which makes me think they must have been quite special. They have a cream background, that has a lot of crazing, and gorgeous cobalt blue, rose, green, and gold painting. I have two plates, two platters,and two plates with deeper centers, which I suppose could actually be bowls. The only markings on the back are very tiny gold numbers, that look handpainted on. They read "4330" and I just couldn't get a good picture of the numbers because they are so tiny.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I know nothing about their age, what they're made of, or if they are worth anything. I think they are beautiful regardless. Any info appreciated!!

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery antique plates/platters

Without any research ... my initial thoughts...
Early 19th century English ironstone....a Chinese or Japanese Imari wannabe.
I love the mends! I have an old Mason's teapot with a similar mend.
Again, no research, but perhaps a Mason's pattern? It's not hard paste stuff because of the discoloring....sort of has a gaudy Welsh look.
I don't think they are hand painted...I think transfer stuff....with hand done embellishments.
I love them!
Linda c

o

Thanks Linda! I used those terms for lots of web searching, and I completely agree.

However...they don't have any marks as most Mason's seems to, and I didn't see the pattern. They also seem a little rougher/more primitive than a lot of the Mason's.

On the other hand, they seem to be more nicely done than the Gaudy ironstone I saw. They have tons of gold and cobalt, which apparently is more characteristic of Mason's.

Who knows? But it is very nice to have some idea what they are... Thanks!

Jen

o

Also could be Dutch....maybe Maastrich?...But as far as I know it TOO was always marked. And also as far as I know always transfer decorated....and I don't think it's as early as your plates. Maybe Gaudy dutch... I think it's finer stuff than the Gaudy Welsh...

o

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think they might be Masons, Linda? Not challenging, just asking. Thanks.

o

Because I have remembered seeing pieces like the links below.
http://www.potteriesantiquecentre.com/psa/Auctions/N26_170307/Images/Large/10.jpg

http://www.dunleithdesigns.com/images/Masons dinner plates.jpg
Not saying it is for sure....but it has the look.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Early Mason's bowl

o

Well, this is so close-- everything is very similar, except the center design--

I agreed that they looked a lot like some of the very early Mason's, but maybe not quite as fine. However, they do seem a lot nicer that most of the Gaudy ironstone.

Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Here is a link that might be useful: Very similar Gaudy piece

o

I would look on replacements.com for these patterns. Since your pictures are fairly good you could also send them to one of their appraisers and locaters for assistance in finding out more about your pieces. they have always been wonderfully helpful.

Good luck on your quest!

o

I think Replacements isn't really very good for anything this old.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here