Thu, Apr 5, 12 at 19:03

The Holy Bible
Douay Version
===============
CATHOLIC STUDENTS HANDBOOK

J P Kennedy and Son, Printers, New York

It has a Logo on the first page that shows a date of 1826, but
I can find nothing else about a date.

I guess there is a Douay-Rheims Version, but this doesn't even mention Rheims.

It also says "Translated from the Latin Vulgate" and mentions His Eminence James Cardinal Gibbons. Archbishop of Baltimore. (James Gibbons July 23, 1834 � March 24, 1921)

I know it's an old bible, but how old??

Thanks a lot.

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rare Bible?

Here is a website that gives the history of the Douay Bible.

http://www.douaybible.com/DouayHistory/douayhistory.html

o
RE: Rare Bible?

In Wikipedia there is an article about the Douay Bible which says "Several American editions followed in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, prominently among them an edition published in 1899 by the John Murphy Company of Baltimore." James Gibbons Archbishop of Baltimore was created Cardinal in 1886, so since your edition specifically mentions him I would surmise it is the 1899 John Murphy Co version.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here