Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suggestions on how to find right furniture repair person?

Posted by ilene-84 (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 18:55

Hi, When bringing in 50sq ft of tile for my new back splash DH put all tiles over the two open leafs of my antique French Provintial table made from cherry wood. When I came home, and removed all tiles the damage was already done. One leg is both cracked and is loose from the table. One of the leafs split slightly in the middle and a second leg is loose, with no visible splits. Obviously I am devistated, after moving (while crying) the tiles form my fragile 75 yr old table I immediately noticed the leg which was loose, DH with his not so gentle touch hit it to go back into the table, that is when I belive it split in two and started to chip. I have 6 chairs, server, and hutch for this set. The top of server and hutch are in perfect shape, the dinning table top looks worn, I cover it with a tapestry and silk flower arrangement and have never thought of refinishing the damage my family caused during holiday meals when I was a child. As you may have guessed the table is centimental to me, it's actual worth I have no idea. I have a furniture repair person coming to my house tomorrow, but have no idea what would be a resonable price to fix my table. In my head I figure spending 2-4 hundred would be fine. I am wondering if because of it's age the chairs and any other parts of the furniture need to be repaired. Several years ago a very heavy person sat on one of the chairs, when it "creeked", he got up immediately, I have never heard it "creek" like that since. Are there furniture repair people who deal only with Antiqes, or am I ok using a regular furniture repair person. I had difficulty finding someone to come to my house for an estimate, I do not have a way of getting my table to a store without reting a truck. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me. FYI I furnished my living room around the few French Provintial pieces I saved when I had to break up my Grandmother's home. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suggestions on how to find right furniture repair person?

Oh, that's too bad. :(
I'd suggest talking to a couple antique dealers near you that handle furniture. (Take photos along, good ones with close ups of damage.) They likely have resources they use & maybe can give you a referral. Doesn't have to be upscale necessarily. There was a guy that ran a 2nd generation antique store down the road from me. It was kind of a hole in the wall but he did all his own refinishing & repairs and did an impressive job.

o

I second Moonshadow's suggestion....find an antiques dealer and ask for a good repair guy.
You need to find someone who loves what they do.
Can't possibly tell you what to expect as to cost without knowing just what damage was done....but I expect 2 to 4 hundred is way too low.
Make sure your husband knows what a few moments of thoughtlessness has cost both in $$ and in your heartache.
Linda C

o

Like everone else is saying......your best source to find a person who can do this type of work and do it well is by word of mouth. Going to a dealer would be the way I'd handle it as well. Here's the issue the way I see it, however. If it's a 75 year old table, it's going to be depression era. I love furniture from that era, but it's still relatively common, not really antique, and priced far less than what it's often worth. You may end up putting more into the repair than the value of the table, especially if a lot of refinishing is involved.

If it's cherry, it's probably been a good set and as you said, it has sentimental value, and it's hard to put a price on that.

There are a lot of people in my area who do repairs and restorations, and as moonshadow said, they aren't big outfits, or even have advertising and listed business numbers. Their prices for identical work are also all over the board. You may have to get several estimates, and you need to decide in advance, the level of skill involved in your repair. IOW make it sound and the splits not too evident, or make it look perfect, not including the top refinished completely.

I'm so sorry this happened to a piece you love. Many folks don't really understand the concept of irreplaceable or that older things are valuable, as opposed to just old. I suspect your husband feels bad enough already about what happened.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here