Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
native american jewelry?

Posted by Scarletts.Mommy (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 12 at 17:45

i have a piece of jewelry that my brother dug up when we were children and we think it may be native american but we really arent sure. im hoping that perhaps somebody else looking at it could give us an idea. i have pictures of it, just not sure how to get them on here. thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: native american jewelry?

There are directions in a post on this page called how to post a photograph.....read and follow the directions.
Linda C

o

first picture

Here is a link that might be useful: picture 1

o
picture

last picture

Here is a link that might be useful: 2nd photo

o

Looks Mexican to me... Are there any markings?

o

no, just the etchings. theres two tiny bracket like things on the sides so there may have been a back to it

o

look in the magazine, "lapidary Journal/Jewelry Artist", to find many similar examples. This magazine caters to hobbyist jewelry makers.

o

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that it's silver....either sterling or coin.
One medallion looks like a plains Indian and the other like a wolf.
The stone looks like perhaps jade or malachite...
But what is it? is it a scarf holder? a ring or a bracelet? hard to see what it is.
I don't think it's American Indian....and I really don't think it's Mexican. I think it's something hand made by a silver artesan.
Nice! Whatever it is!
Linda C

o

wow how interesting... it is silver, im not sure if its sterling or coin. how can you tell the difference? and because of the shape we think a bracelet. thank you so much for the info

o
RE: native american jewelry????

Coin is 900 parts out of 1000 pure silver. Sterling is 925 parts....
You really can't tell with out a test.
Is it big enough for a bracelet? doesn't look like it.

o

heres the piece next to a quarter for reference Photobucket

and the back so you can see one side has two little fixings and the other side has one Photobucket

o

Can't make sense of the second picture......
Fixings....could that have been a catch?

o

the second picture is of the piece stone side down. im not sure what you mean by a catch..

o

Definitely Mexican .. Aztec warrior in profile and the creature is the "Feathered Serpent". Stone is probably jade or a similar stone or even glass.

Probably one link from a bracelet or necklace, warped from whatever broke and buried it.

Any markings about metal content would have been on the closing, or the links closest to the closing - only one mark required per piece of jewelry.

http://img3.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.320296679.jpg shows what the linking might have looked like.

o

incredible!

o
lazygarden...

any idea how i would sell this or whom would be interested in it?

o

Whatever it was in its past life, now it could be a napkin holder or a kerchief slide? I think that part of it is missing.

o

Gently straightened out and with the appropriate mounting, it might make a nice pendant ...

but 1/10th of a Mexican bracelet on its own doesn't have much market value.

o

I also think it's a Mexican jade or jasper cabochon, and possibly a bracelet piece. The spiral coil on the flip side is a common piece in such jewelry, where a rod runs through it to hold the links together. And if you Google Mexican silver bracelets jade cabochon you'll find many similar pieces in various designs. Most are listed as vintage or retro and intact ones seem to run from one to three hundred on those sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: mexican bracelet back

o

It might be half of a watch cuff --

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here