Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Victorian grandfather clock with moon phase face?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 18, 12 at 17:08

This is a question for those who know something about antique grandfather clocks, aka case clocks. My fiance is hell bent on a grandfather clock that shows the moon phase on the face. I myself would prefer a Victorian grandfather clock, preferably Eastlake/Aesthetic. However, despite much searching, I have never seen a Victorian grandfather clock with a moon phase face. I know moon phase clocks existed in the 18th century, but those are very much out of our price range. Can anyone tell me if grandfather clocks made from 1850-1890ish commonly had moon phase faces, or am I looking for a needle in a haystack?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Victorian grandfather clock with moon phase face?

I don't know....but I'll bet the guy linked below would know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tall clock expert.

o

The answer is yes. We had a huge Victorian grandfather's clock in my family. It had the moon phases and a choice of three different chimes plus silent if you didn't want the chimes. I loved the chimes. It chimed at 15, 30, and 45 minutes increasing to the full Westminister chime before stiking the hour. I am linking to a similar one (ours had elements of the both first one and the thumbnail one on the left at the bottom, but slightly larger and wider and with a lovelier moon phase). You can find them if you look hard and if you are willing to pay the price! ;) We sold ours for $11,000 several years ago because I was just too big for our home (grandparents and then parents had it in their front halls which were large-we don't have that!).

Good luck. Hope you can find one that makes you both happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian gf clock with moon phases

o

The answer is yes. We had a huge Victorian grandfather's clock in my family. It had the moon phases and a choice of three different chimes plus silent if you didn't want the chimes. I loved the chimes. It chimed at 15, 30, and 45 minutes increasing to the full Westminister chime before stiking the hour. I am linking to a similar one (ours had elements of the both first one and the thumbnail one on the left at the bottom, but slightly larger and wider and with a lovelier moon phase). You can find them if you look hard and if you are willing to pay the price! ;) We sold ours for $11,000 several years ago because I was just too big for our home (grandparents and then parents had it in their front halls which were large-we don't have that!).

Good luck. Hope you can find one that makes you both happy.

Here is a link that might be useful: Victorian gf clock with moon phases

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here