Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique chair frames, Can you identify them?

Posted by Malhotte (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 14, 14 at 16:53

Hello everyone. I hope you can help me with these chairs. I bought these as an upholstery project, and I'd like to know what to call the style. Also, I'd like to upholster the open arms as well as seat and back...any opinions? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique chair frames, Can you identify them?

No clue on age or style

I would NOT cover those arms. They are a major contributor to the cool look of the chairs

o

1910s-1920s Empire revival -- love the paw feet! Is the wood walnut or mahogany? I agree; don't cover those arms!

o

They are maple and originally had the "blood-red mahogany" finish popular at the time. The full Parlor Suite would have had a settee and perhaps side chairs.
Casey

o

Thanks for the info, all. And Sombreuil, when I scraped off the white paint on the right, it was indeed a very blood red stain, much more-so than the rocker, which was already paint-free when I got it. So I'm hearing votes for keeping the arms as is?

o

Yes...........leave it as it is. Those are nice, and appear to be solidly built.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here