Posted by Katrinka_Fido (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 24, 14 at 15:29

photo 100_6819.jpg
 photo 100_6807.jpg
 photo 100_6808.jpg
 photo 100_6809.jpg
 photo 100_6810.jpg
 photo 100_6811.jpg
Amazing find (I think) deserves more than box storage. Oh sure I'd love to see them restored (unless that would decrease value or IF ANY VALUE NOW ) & I'd like to have them appraised. ANYONE ethical/reputable to refer me to? YOUR GUESSES? I've made 2 appts for a free appraisal locally only to get an insulting(to me anyway) $100 offer from one to take the 2 children off my hands(later discovered his 'specialty' was folk art. The other appraiser honestly said she was not at all familiar w/marionettes & suggest internet search? These are obviously old, handmade & the very least I'd like to have restrung. Marionette clubs?? Doll collectors?? I'm way out of my league on these but couldn't past them up. Any & all comments are greatly appreciated. I've got 3 of the cross sticks for stinging too. Oh & there were extra legs & arms larger than Mom & Dad feet for another marrionette. Maybe a appraiser/restorer would trade towards work I'd like done. The larger 2 are 19" tall & children 15". Help me please. Katrinka_Fido

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marionette family HELP!!!!!

I can see why he wanted the children. They look new in the box. Check on Ebay for marionette dolls and check for completed sales. If you don't you won't know if they sold or not. I collected dolls for 20 years and never ran across any.

I Googled and came on with this on the first hit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Marionettes

o

Thank you Emma for response. Started to wonder if anyone looks here. I tried your link getting Page cant be displayed & I've researched SOLDs on ebay...knowing an exact match wont happen but I just cant find a comparison. Thanks again...ANYONE ELSE ???

o

The University of Connecticut has a museum of puppetry, The Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry. Perhaps they could give you information on your puppets and the names of restorers. Contact information is on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Institute and Museum of Puppetry

o

I adore these marionettes and I'm sure they must have some value, if only you knew where they came from. Museum of puppetry is an excellent idea. I'd take them even if they weren't worth a dime on the market.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here