Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Singer treadle sewing machine

Posted by Cajun12 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 22, 13 at 15:03

Hi,
I was given an old singer sewing machine that's on a cast iron treadle / wood cabinet.
The serial number i see on the little plate on right side says G3232870.
Research shows it may be a 1913 model. Does that sound correct?

I'm not sure what to do with it. It needs some restoration work, mainly cosmetic for machine, treadle base, and cabinet.
I do not know if this is collectible or just old.

I could send pictures if you have any suggestions on what would be best to do with it.

Thank you for any assistance with this sewing machine.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Singer treadle sewing machine

We stayed at a condo at the beach last week. The owner had one of these, and had put a glass top on it, and used it as a table by the door. It was the perfect height.

o

If it's still a fully functional machine, it is very collectible. Does it have any accessories? They add substantially to the value. What kind of restoration does it need? Just cleaning the finish and painting the base? Does it have a wooden box to cover the "head" (sewing machine) or does the head fold into the table?

o

My mother was given a family sewing machine from my father's side of the family. Lore has it that a great aunt sewed a vest for Tom Thumb on it. This man was a circus performer. My father was born in the 1890s, so our Singer was pretty old too. It had a very nice wood box and cabinet on decorative cast iron legs.

I learned to sew on this Singer treadle machine and preferred it to the electric ones because it was so easy to control.

o

The civil war re enactor girls love these. You can get a new leather belt if it needs one. Once they are working, they should be easy to sell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here