Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonshadow_gw

Anyone recognize this old stoneware mark?

moonshadow
13 years ago

I can't locate the mark yet.

All I know is this crock has been around as long as I can remember. Other than the cobalt, there is no other mark I can locate anywhere on it. Interior is brown glaze. It has an old crack below the mark that goes underneath to the bottom, but it doesn't go all the way through to the interior. At the top of the crack on the front it has a spot similar to what a cigarette burn would leave, only it's too big for that, 3" x 2" or so, don't know what caused it. Resting against metal for years, maybe? Old grease? The much bigger stain on the side actually does appear as grease would, perhaps seeped through the glaze? (This could well have come out of an abandoned rural outbuilding, last used in the 40's, but had much older stuff in it, including old rusty and/or greasy, gunky farm implements. If it came out of there hard to tell what it was resting against.) Also a good chance it came from one of the Ohio companies. However, Red Wing has an old mark that's similar, it's a 'close but no cigar' deal. But so far it's the closest I've found. As in here (top of page) or here.

I'm hoping for a mark ID with a ballpark date range. I'd be curious as to a value. I realize the flaws don't help the value at all, but this is much more a sentimental piece and the flaws don't bother me in the least. I'm so used to looking at them they are part of it.

Appreciate any assist I can get! :)

The bottom is actually quite dark, I tweaked brightness/contrast to show there are no visible marks there.

Comments (4)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Great crock!
    One of the huge number of unmarked stoneware pieces around!
    What state did you find it in? That may eb a clue.
    Those utilitarian 5 gallon crocks were made in most potteries, So unless you can find out where it was made and which of their decorators used that squiggle design, you will never know.
    Time frame? 1880 to perhaps 1910....value? $100 give or take a bit.

Linda c

• moonshadow
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Linda. :)
    It's my mother's. She came from and lived in several towns/counties near where old Ohio pottery and glass manufacturers were concentrated. Which is why I suspected an Ohio company. She told me many old pottery, stoneware & pieces were abundant (or used to be) in barns, attics, garages, in her younger years it was everywhere. Some so abundant then, they just sort of took it for granted. She had a lot of old Roseville, McCoy, Imperial Glass etc. but gave a lot away when moving. *whimper* Then when I started collecting she told me how much she regretted not keeping it. Me too! ;)

But thankfully there are some remaining, she knew my love of antiques and old things. I'm sure my grandma (her mom) had some too. (Imperial glass in particular.) My mom's pieces have beaded edges & handles, I'll be posting some of those pics later. Glass is so tricky, I really do need to learn how to ID it. I have a compote she gave me years ago, saying it was my paternal grandmother's. Mom always called it 'strawberry glass' but there are no strawberries in the pattern, all I know is it's very old per my mother.

I suspected the crock was around turn of century give or take, older than my mom by a generation. So that's why I strongly suspect it came from that area, based on how long she lived there.

• lindac
    13 years ago

Don't believe everything you hear about "stuff your grandmother had"...
    As a little girl I was always intrigued by the mish mosh of glass ware that always sat on my grandmother's kitchen table....a glass spooner, a sugar bowl, vinegar cruet and salt and pepper.
    the sugar bowl always spoken of as belonging to "Grandma Konklin", who was my great great grandmother, born in 1837 (I remember that because there is a picture of me as a baby with her when she was 100 years old). It was always said to be 100 years old....even in 1950
    I think those glass pieces sparked my interest in old glass.....and when that sugar bowl came into my possession, I looked up the pattern, and it's Sunk Daisy....made about 1910.
    I also have "the tomato dish"...so called because it always was used to serve sliced tomatoes in the summer. The strawberry bowl may have been always used for strawberries.
    your mother's glassware sounds like Imperial glass's "candlewick".
    Your crock is likely Ohio made as you said...
    Just remember....a rose by any other name still smells as sweet, and don't worry about who made it.
    Linda C

• susiebelle77
    9 years ago

I received this crock from my grandma who lives in Ohio as well. I am trying to find more information on it and will let you know what i find out. Definitely Ohio in origin.