Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting an item resilverplated

Posted by javaandjazz (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 4, 11 at 12:38

Has anyone had a favorite item resilverplated, where did you get it done and how much was it? Thanks, Richie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting an item resilverplated

Nope....but I did price having my grandmother's ladle done...
EXPENSIVE!!!!
think I will just keep it as is and say..."this is my grandmother's soup ladle. It's worn out but I keep it any way. Here use this Sterling one I bought for the same price as having this replated!"
Not quite that bad....but almost.

o

Thanks Linda. I just keep seeing fun stuff at the fleamarkets and shops that need to be replated and have wondered.

o

Yes. Price depends on what you're having done and where you are I guess. I know a great person in Ridgefield,CT who works on various metals but it can be costly.

o

I got it done in LA, and it wasn't all that expensive. Rose Tarlow, the high end decorator, buys cheapo silverplate and has the items re-plated in copper, which is way cool.

o

A lot of the old silverplate was copper under the silver....not much need to replate.....and plating with copper is lots less expensive than plating with silver.
There is also a process you can do at home which lays a very VERY thin coating of silver over the piece. The materials are expensive and it doesn't last long as the silver is so slight on the item...but for touching up a spot on an otherwise good piece it's not too bad...
And it also depends on what you call expensive.

Here is a link that might be useful: flatware replating costs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here