Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harebelle

Antiques Fairs, Revisited

harebelle
14 years ago

I am adding another show (extremely excited to be part of this one!) and am indecently curious about your take on antiques fairs in general. I know that I asked similar a few months ago but this post is specific to shows. Hopefully this is okay to do, as it's not advertising. It's purely curiosity.

Do you go to venues where there is parking and catered food service? Or is shuttling and chance fare okay?

Do you attend events where the venue or the exhibitors can arrange shipping and delivery or do you simply haul your purchases away yourself?

Do you have particular seasons when you prefer to go to or exhibit at shows?

Do you prefer vetted shows or similar where exhibitors are required to know their stuff; or do you prefer to take your chances or rely on your own knowledge?

Do you go with a specific era in mind, or are you open to objects from periods outside your expertise?

Do you go in hope of finding a good piece for your decor or as a spotter for another dealer, or are you buying with specific clients in mind, or is this all a mighty adventure?

Do you go to learn about antiques (therefore sign up for the lectures) or don't you care as long as you go home with a treasure?

Do you go to venues offering 1000 dealers or to venues with only a few dozen exhibitors?

Do you go to venues offering free or cheap appraisals by non-certified people? If so, do you follow up on their comments by research of your own?

Have you attended venues where objects are obviously mis-identified, married, or suffer heavy attrition, of which the seller is apparently unaware? If so, do you offer to help the seller correct the discrepancies?

When you pick up an exhibitor's business card, do you indicate on it a specific item in which you are interested? Do you call the telephone number listed, or do you prefer to visit a website first?

If you are at a fair, do you expect to see a range between collectibles and higher end merchandise, or do you pick shows based on typical merchandise that is pretty standard in era and value from booth to booth?

For those of you located in Northeastern US what shows have you done, visited, or recommend?

If you feel like getting into all this I would love to know what you think!

Comments (2)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

When I lived outside Philadelphia, I always went to the Philadelphia Show. Still have an antique mantel I fell in love with there even though I didn't have a fireplace at the time. It graced my dining room for years.
    Now, I try to hit shows in the Alexandria VA area. I like the one that is held at either Episcopal HS or St. Stephens St Agnes School.

This summer, I am hoping to make it to Bouckville. A friend from Ithaca has been telling me I need to come and this year I just may make it. Normally, I don't go for such large shows-too exhausting and overwhelming.

As far as what type of show-if I am just going to have fun, doesn't matter-high end or junk. I usually am more tempted to buy at the better shows and I usually only buy furniture-mostly early to mid 19th c.

I don't bother with sellers who don't know their stuff, so to speak. I expect them to be able to teach me something. I have never considered appraisals at a show because there seems to be so little down time, I am not sure that is the place for it. Definitely not interested in one unless I know the person is qualified.

Don't care about food or parking. I can walk and I rarely eat when I am at a show.

At this point I probably should get my own booth and sell some of my things. No more buying for me...unless you have that one perfect thing I can't resist!

• jaybird
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you go to venues where there is parking and catered food service? Or is shuttling and chance fare okay? I don't care about the food, but I only go where my car can go with me...I'm too old to carry my "stuph" all over the place.

Do you attend events where the venue or the exhibitors can arrange shipping and delivery or do you simply haul your purchases away yourself? :^) see above (^:

Do you have particular seasons when you prefer to go to or exhibit at shows? I like spring and fall the best summer and winter are either too hot or too cold and sometimes rainy...

Do you prefer vetted shows or similar where exhibitors are required to know their stuff; or do you prefer to take your chances or rely on your own knowledge? The stuff that I sell I know enough about to sell it...usually because I have asked LindaC before hand :^)

Do you go with a specific era in mind, or are you open to objects from periods outside your expertise? I am open to anything that really grabs my attention...

Do you go in hope of finding a good piece for your decor or as a spotter for another dealer, or are you buying with specific clients in mind, or is this all a mighty adventure? always a grand adventure

Do you go to learn about antiques (therefore sign up for the lectures) or don't you care as long as you go home with a treasure? I AM an antique, so I usually just treasure hunt

Do you go to venues offering 1000 dealers or to venues with only a few dozen exhibitors? A few dozen...more are too distracting...now if they are in separate buildings, more is fine!

Do you go to venues offering free or cheap appraisals by non-certified people? If so, do you follow up on their comments by research of your own? I do quite a bit of research on my own, but appraisals don't enter my field of vision...

Have you attended venues where objects are obviously mis-identified, married, or suffer heavy attrition, of which the seller is apparently unaware? If so, do you offer to help the seller correct the discrepancies? I mumble and gripe if the objects are blatantly mismarked, but I don't try to advise unless asked!

When you pick up an exhibitor's business card, do you indicate on it a specific item in which you are interested? Do you call the telephone number listed, or do you prefer to visit a website first? I do mark them with the item I am interested in, and yes I would love a website. If no site, then yes, I use the phone number.

If you are at a fair, do you expect to see a range between collectibles and higher end merchandise, or do you pick shows based on typical merchandise that is pretty standard in era and value from booth to booth? I pick fairs/antique malls etc., just by size and cleanliness. Part of my complaint with the shows/stores/malls, has to do with people smoking in the building....I turn around and walk right back out! I'm allergic!

For those of you located in Northeastern US what shows have you done, visited, or recommend? I'm from the northeast, but highjacked to Texas!