Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ironwood Mortar & Pestle

Posted by pamghatten (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 6, 13 at 11:46

This is a family piece and I'm wondering how old it might be? It's definitely ironwood, it weaighs just over 6 lbs.

I'm also wondering what affect on the value might be, that my grandmother scratched her SSN in the bottom of it. Was it in the 1970's that people were told to do that? She took that advice to heart and scratched her SSN onto quite a few things.

I'm attaching a link to more photos ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Album of photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ironwood Mortar & Pestle

The crack does more to the value than the SSN.

By "ironwood" do you mean the Arizona and Mexican species, Olneya tesota, or some other species noted for being hard and heavy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ironwood

o

LOL! I guess it would. It's been well used, as many of the things I have from previous generations were too.

I really never thought about what type of wood it is, I've been told by a couple of people that it's ironwood ... and didn't question it any more than that. It's very hard & very heavy ...

Any idea of how old this might be?

o

Age is hard to pin down on something that simple and common.

You know granny had it in the 1970s or so, but it could have been new then, or made decades earlier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here