Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Antique German / Russian Silver Mark 916

Posted by michael_malone (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 18, 10 at 10:16

Hi, a new member here. I have a silver box with strange hallmarks. It has the German Crescent and Crown, 916, A Communist Sickle, a small a inside a crest and the numbers 44. Can someone Help me with this puzzle. Are we talking German or Russian. I know these countries use 916 purity.
.916 (Finland, Portugal, Russia, Romania, Spain, ?) I have pictures if this will help. michaelmalone@earthlink.net

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Antique German / Russian Silver Mark 916

Pictures will help....both of the piece for clues as to origin and a close up of the mark.
Linda C

o

Linda, I don't know how to post an optional URL with pictures. Can you email me so I can reply with the pictures at michaelmalone@earthlink.net

o

A while ago, I posted a piece with a 916 mark & the general consensus was that it was Russian or possibly Finnish, but I didn't have any of the other markings you describe. I've never seen anything with a German purity of .916.

o

He emailed me the pictures....here's the box
box
And the markings on it..
marks

o

This is somewhat of a WAG so take it for what it's worth, LOL!

The only sickle I can find in Tardy's (& I only found this by accident because it is alphabetically next to Russia) was used in Romania around 1955 & it represents the fineness of .916. The caveat is that it should be around a sheaf of wheat(?) & be in an oval with a notch gone out of the side. Lesser finenesses are represented by more notches in different shape cartouches. Maybe the German reich mark acted as an import/duty mark (it was used on any silver having a fineness of at least .800 but I don't know when, or if, it was discontinued). That's the only explanation I can think of for .916 in Germany but maybe it's a place to start for more research.

o

Is that 916 or 816? The frst number is not all that clear on my monitor. Bear in mind, I know nothing about silver or the grading thereof.

o

At first, I also thought it might be .816 but I couldn't find any reference to that fineness.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here