Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Colonial Coffee Table Identification

Posted by Gray.053 (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 30, 14 at 9:46

Can anyone please help me with information regarding an antique coffee table, appears to be English pine and possibly circa 1860. It is 1200mm long by 450mm wide and 400mm high. It has a branding iron hallmark of a flower on one side which appears to be a rose. Please see photo attached. I have spent a lot of time on the internet looking for something similar but have failed to find anything. I am new to this forum, having trouble uploading more than one picture, will try to update.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colonial Coffee Table Identification

Can you post a picture of the whole table, and of the underside.

o

No such thing as an antique "coffee table" Coffee tables were a mid 20th century invention. If it's an antique pine table, then it has been cut down, which greatly diminishes it's value & takes away any antique value it had.
As for the rose, I've not seen that mark before. It could have been added when it was cut down. And yes, a photo of the whole table would be good. HTH, mfrog

o

Thank you lazygardens and mfrog for your response. I agree, coffee tables did not exist until 1920 and were referred to as cocktail tables. My assumption has been based on poor research. This one does not appear to be a table that has been cut down and is similar to design to Old English furniture dated to around 1860. The mark could have been made at any time. Here are more photos anyway, a photo of the underside will be uploaded soon.

o

Here is a close up photo of the table top.

o

I wonder if it was made "in the style" of, either with old boards (which I've seen lots of dealers do) Seeing a four board top on the mid 19th C table is quite unusual. Also do the legs look quite chunky for the scale of the table or is it just the photos?
With the rose mark it may be a mark of the craftsman who makes this type of furniture with an eye to the past. mfrog

o

Here is a photo of the underside.

o

Here is a close-up photo of one of the legs.

o

Here is a close-up photo of one of the legs.

o

Legs look chunky and cut down. It was common to have a fancy turning at the top of the leg, then a long slightly curved bit then a little flare out and in near the bottom end of the leg.

o

Thank you colleenoz for responding, yes, I agree the legs were probably cut down but the lower part of the legs must have been thin. There are some circular marks on the base of the legs which I assumed were from being mounted on a wood lathe but I'm not sure.

o

It has lathe marks, so I think they were always that short.

The sort of Art Nouveau floral brand makes me think of the 1970s/80s when "country" had its big revival.

o

Thank you lazygardens. The stamp of the flower, to me looks like a rose the national flower of England. That is why I considered the table being old English country furniture. The symbol may have been adopted by the manufacturer but now believe this to be a wild assumption.

o

The symbolic English rose looks nothing like that, and I would think a lot of non-English folk would not recognise it as a rose, unless they knew.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here