Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying painting

Posted by charley526 (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 18, 11 at 9:27

My grandmother recently passed and left me many items, one of which is this framed art. I think it's a giclee? I don't believe that it has much value, but I would love to have any information about it for personal/sentimental reasons. The signature is illegible.

Photobucket

Thank you in advance for any information you may have!
Charley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying painting

Sorry I can't tell what kind of print it is.....giclee is just a print made with an ink jet printer.
I don't recogneze the image...looks like the sentimental sort of pictures made in the 1930's.
Could it be original art?....what does the back look like?
How about a close up?
Linda C

o

Thank you lindac. Here's a close-up of the signature. In the glare, you can see that there is some type of glazing over it. The frame has a brown paper backing that I don't want to remove so I can't see the back. I don't think she purchased it that long ago--12 years tops. It may have been a gift, no one in the family seems to know where she got it. But I would really like to know who the artist is.

Photobucket

o

Is there a name on the back? framer's sticker? how is the brown paper attached? Glued or with tape? Does it cover the whole back of the frame or just the picture?
I can't read the signature either, but the picture looks like it's one printed on canvas like paper with a glaze over simulating brush strokes. I don't see any glass so that's likely what it is....if it were a giclee or a chromo litho or litho or even a photographic repro, it would be covered with glass.
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda. Yes, I didn't know if there was a particular term for that--the clear glaze that simulates brushstrokes. The paper backing covers the entire frame & is glued on.
Do you have any tips on how I might figure out who the artist is?

o

Well....it's not one of the great masters.......don't think it's even a secondary master.....there were lots and lots of people painting pictures to make prints of most of then not at all notable.
I don't think that mark is a signature.....

o

That's what I figured. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here