Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charley526

Help identifying painting

charley526
12 years ago

My grandmother recently passed and left me many items, one of which is this framed art. I think it's a giclee? I don't believe that it has much value, but I would love to have any information about it for personal/sentimental reasons. The signature is illegible.

Thank you in advance for any information you may have!

Charley

Comments (6)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Sorry I can't tell what kind of print it is.....giclee is just a print made with an ink jet printer.
    I don't recogneze the image...looks like the sentimental sort of pictures made in the 1930's.
    Could it be original art?....what does the back look like?
    How about a close up?
    Linda C

• charley526
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you lindac. Here's a close-up of the signature. In the glare, you can see that there is some type of glazing over it. The frame has a brown paper backing that I don't want to remove so I can't see the back. I don't think she purchased it that long ago--12 years tops. It may have been a gift, no one in the family seems to know where she got it. But I would really like to know who the artist is.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Is there a name on the back? framer's sticker? how is the brown paper attached? Glued or with tape? Does it cover the whole back of the frame or just the picture?
    I can't read the signature either, but the picture looks like it's one printed on canvas like paper with a glaze over simulating brush strokes. I don't see any glass so that's likely what it is....if it were a giclee or a chromo litho or litho or even a photographic repro, it would be covered with glass.
    Linda C

• charley526
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Linda. Yes, I didn't know if there was a particular term for that--the clear glaze that simulates brushstrokes. The paper backing covers the entire frame & is glued on.
    Do you have any tips on how I might figure out who the artist is?

• lindac
    12 years ago

Well....it's not one of the great masters.......don't think it's even a secondary master.....there were lots and lots of people painting pictures to make prints of most of then not at all notable.
    I don't think that mark is a signature.....

• charley526
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That's what I figured. Thanks again.