Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a fair price?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 10, 10 at 8:52

I have no idea, but I have a very similar rocker that had been painted and not totally stripped, so I was thinking of painting it again. The finish on the CL isn't in great shape either, just wondering if this was a good price or if they were asking way too much, and whether mine might be worth more, or less, if I paint it.

Have to laugh about rare - obviously the owner has only seen pressed cane and not woven cane!

Here is a link that might be useful: Caned

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a fair price?

I wouldn't do the caning on that chair for $100!! Definitly a good price!
And yes yours will be worth considerably less if you paint it. If you are thinking of painting a similar rocker what will you do about the cane? Paint it too?
I think some few years in the future people will look at painted stuff and remember that for about 10 years there were hoards of people who painted their furniture. And will know that any piece that has been painted in a "Shabby chic" white or pastel was pre 2000 because that's when the craze started.
Linda C

o
RE: Is this a fair price?

Thanks Linda. I've been hanging onto this for years intending to strip it more throughly (I don't know if my mom stripped it or bought it that way or frankly if *I* even bought it that way - don't remember where it came from). I have to run but maybe I'll post pics later and see what you think. The cane is pretty much intact, I could repair it.

I was thinking a small brush and a "shabby" treatment that wouldn't have to get every inch covered might be best. But if you think it's worth more as-is, I'll try to sell it that way. To refinish it correctly I'd have to remove the caning and then redo it, and I don't think it's worth the time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here