Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warning! Virus on Photobucket (banner?)

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 8:25

I was just trying to insert one of my pictures from Photobucket when my browser (Firefox) shut down and a window that looked like an application window popped up saying I was infected and needed to perform a scan. This looked suspicious so I asked DH what AV software he installed on laptop. This was not a real application window - cleverly disguised link that would have loaded an executable if I had clicked on it! Beware if this happens to you (looks like AV Doctor)! DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON IN THIS WINDOW!

I did go back to Photobucket and was able to view and insert my pics without this happening again, so most likely it was in a banner ad that ran at that particular time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warning! Virus on Photobucket (banner?)

It's not a virus....it's just a way of getting you to install a big time tracking cookie on your computer.
Linda C

o

It's malware disguised as an application window, which, if you click OK, will load an executable on your computer. I didn't look to see what the executable might be, but assume it's nothing good. I used the word "Virus" to get people's attention since most people think of all bad things that get loaded onto their computers as viruses, whether they're really Trojan Horses, sniffers, or some other kind of malware. Just didn't want to get too technical ;-)

o

Most things that pop up in that type of environment are going to be harmful. If you are using Firefox I would suggest installing Adblock Plus (link below). It allows you to stop the downloading of ads on sites you are on. Those ads take a long time to display quite often, and this lets you disable them. The site below is a legit Firefox extension site (note the https).

Hope this helps better your internet usage. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: ADblock Plus 1.0.2 Add-on

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here