Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thriftshop_gw

How would I restore the wooden case for this antique radio?

thriftshop
13 years ago

It's a Olympic model 410 radio/record player. I know most people say that stripping, sanding and refinishing antiques lessens the value but I don't really care because it needs to be done. The top of the wooden case has the most wear and damage. Nearly all of the lacquer or whatever was on it has peeled and flaked off on most of the outside of the case. Just rubbing it a bit will cause more to flake off exposing the bare wood. A small chunk of wood is missing from the corner of the lid and in one spot the wood is pulled up and needs to be glued back down. Inside the case looks fine but the outside is bad.. really bad.. looks like trash bad. How would I go about restoring the wood? Sand it? Use a solvent to get the remaining finish off? Then stain it? Lacquer it? I really have no idea what I'm doing but the radio was free so I don't have much to lose. Also, the bare wood that is exposed does have a grain pattern that matches whatever stain or lacquer that was applied. Maybe that would help someone in identifying the material/finish.

Comments (5)