Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debodun

Blanket Chest

debodun
11 years ago

I advertised an antique lyre-back wash stand for sale. A man came to look at it and bought it, but when he was here, he inquired about a blanket chest I has (but not for sale). I told him it was an antique and when I decided to sell it I would want at least $200 for it. He said it wasn't an antique - just a reproduction made in the 1970s or 80s and worth about $50 which he would give me when I decided to sell. I remember my parents buying this at an auction in the mid-1970 and it looked old then. A quick look on Ebay, even modern cedar chests are selling for hundreds. Any idea what WOULD be a reasonable price?

Comments (18)

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

That looks like a mule chest -- so-called because it was a hybrid between a coffer (or blanket chest) and a chest of drawers. It doesn't really look like a repro to me; he may have been trying to get your price way down below what it should be.

Could you show us photos of the inside, and the sides, and the back? Especially important are the hardware and joints between wood, as well as general views. A measurement of the thickness of the wood would also be good, and if there are any saw or chisel marks, even better!

• calliope
    11 years ago

I agree, this does not look at all like a repro.

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are more photos

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here are more photos

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One more

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

I remember the 1970s-80s reproductions, when country was popular, and they were usually slicker than this.

Closeups of the hardware could help: the lock on the top part and the hinges and lock on the bottom.

Also the back and underside.

• mfrog
    11 years ago

Doesn't look repro to me, but some closer shots of details would help to date it. Also I would want to know why he would be anxious to buy it if it's repro? mfrog

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have more pics. Photo of the bottom latch

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Top latch

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Top hinge

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Inside the bottom compartment

• ncutt
    11 years ago

it is beautiful!

• calliope
    11 years ago

And it is old

• chibimimi
    11 years ago

Yes, that's not a modern piece.

If you clean up the finish, it will be beautiful.

• anoriginal
    11 years ago

Slightly OT... but about blanket/cedar chests. If you have an older LANE chest (thing something like pre-85-ish), you SHOULD go to their web site and see about replacing the locks. Remember a tragic story of a child suffocating after apparently hiding inside one... cannot be opened from inside on older models. Replacement locks are FREE... all you need is model number (on back or bottom) and shape (round or rectangular, if I recall). Take just a few minutes and only tool needed is a simple screw driver.

• debodun
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, but I don't have to worry about any kids getting inside. I thought that it was refrigerators in which children suffocated.

• sam_md
    11 years ago

Good advice from klseiverd. At the very least, check to see if the lid automatically latches when closed, that's the dangerous kind.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

Only if the chest is air tight ...