Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherita_gw

Help identify antique vanity

Sherita
10 years ago

I'm trying to identify some facts about the vanity in the photo. It was my great-grandmother's, and I know she had it in the 1940's, and probably earlier. I can't find any identifying marks on it at all. It is lovely craftsmanship, with dovetail drawers, beveled mirror and inlay. All original pulls. I don't even know what kind of wood it is, maybe maple? Can anyone give me any info on it?

Comments (9)

• texasredhead
    10 years ago

My mother had one very similar to yours. Various makeup items were placeed on the lower shelf and she sat at a small chair applying perfume, etc. Your's is very nice but it is out of vogue which effects the value. the drawer fronts and the mirpow decorations are vaneer. Can't really tell about the tops. Could be mahogany. These pieces were popular in their day If I had to place a value on the piece I would say $1,500 to $2,000.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

I'd say that's the finest satinwood deco vanity I ever expect to see. Maybe its just bleached mahogany veneer, but they were trying for the satinwood look.
    Casey

• Sherita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both so much for your input! Any ideas on when it would have been made? Or where I could sell it?
    Here's a closeup of the front.

Sherita

• triciae
    10 years ago

To a large degree, "out of vogue" depends on where you live and the style of your home. I can just see that vanity somewhere in the Hollywood Hills or even in Pasadena. Don't give it away - market it in the correct place with the correct broker. It's wonderful! Lucky you!!

/tricia

• Sherita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Tricia! Do you have any tips on where to find a good broker or buyer? I'm completely new to this kind of thing! I live in the Seattle area.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

Nice piece.

It's an odd mix of style details from several eras, as happened when a manufacturer tarted up an existing model with minor changes to stay stylish. (as still happens) That vanity style was popular for decades.

1 - bulbous front legs ... Renaissance Revival of the late 20s
    2 - geometric lines on the drawers ... Art deco
    3 - The vertical grooving on the corner molding ... often seen in depression era furniture
    4 - The delicate gilt molding ... doesn't match any of the above ... almost Sheraton or other Federal era detail.

Based on the details that developed the latest, it is probably early to mid 1930s.

• Sherita
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic!

• calliope
    10 years ago

"It's an odd mix of style details from several eras"

Yep. And it's beautiful.

• Yorkies2
    10 years ago

My sister has my grandmother's dresser and it looks very much like this. Hers is a dark mahogany and the mirror is the same as this one. Grandma got it with the matching bedstead for her 5th wedding anniversary in 1905.