Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mahatmacat1

Anyone know where/when this copper was made?

mahatmacat1
12 years ago

I'm curious...I have seen something like this in my favorite thrift shop and I'm wondering where/when it's from. Don't want to buy it until I know--my new rule, times being what they are... Anyway, the one I've seen has a wrought iron handle rather than the two side handles, but otherwise it's so similar, much more like this one below than it is like anything else I've seen online.

TIA if anyone can help me. Is this a recent badly made thing?

Here is a link that might be useful: like the thing in the shop

Comments (9)

• lindac
    12 years ago

Is the piece you see dovetailed construction? Same size?
    It's a container...no way to say for sure from where...if the price is right and you like it....buy it.

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Linda, so nice to see you : ) Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's dovetailed, with brass solder or whatever the word is. But it's rough dovetailing, not really delicate like other pieces I've seen. I appreciate your taking a second to look.

• lindac
    12 years ago

is it $5 or under? Will you be hungry next week if you buy it?

If you don't buy this stuff, think what you will miss.....you have a good eye for "good junk".

• karinl
    12 years ago

I've never seen a dovetailed one (until now, I didn't know that word applied to anything but wood). You also have a thrift store that someone with good taste donates to!

Ny new rule is, if I don't end up wanting to keep it, how hard will it be to get rid of it?

If it's metal and cheap enough, you can put it in the blue box curbside, and it's just like buying a latte - bought and gone. Or, donate it back to the store :-)

Karin L

• mahatmacat1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Quite true, Karin & Linda. I was just hoping to learn but Ill just go with my instincts and hope I find out something about it in a reasonable amount of time, or out it goes like a latte cup : )

• sweeby
    12 years ago

For what it's worth, I have two of those - one larger, one smaller - that I bought at Garden Ridge maybe 20 years ago for well under $20. I think they were 'Made in Turkey', and definitely mass produced.

Decorative but not valuable --

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Yes I have some copper pieces with dovetail,did you know they get copper from a mine?I didnt I didnt really know where it came from.I heard yesterday on tv I think peru a couple ofmen are trapped in a copper mine,I have lots copper I really like it,Pots hanging in my old kitchen,sitting here and there Buy It ,youll wish you did later.

• lindac
    12 years ago

There are copper mines in Michigan and Arizona, Montana, Utah and California....as well as in Peru, Chili and Columbia, India, Spain and even Canada.
    And do you know where silver and gold come from? And aluminum and tin?...Yep....mines!

Fly, I hope you bought the "thing".

• bulldinkie
    12 years ago

Who has time to sit and look up answers to EVERYONES questions on here I sure dont,Im lucky if I make it on here daily,yes I know where silver & gold come from I never gave it any thought,darn me!!!!!