Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Asian Woman Statue - I think real Ivory?

Posted by nybirdwatcher (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 23:35

Hi, Can anyone out there help me with info about this figure / statue? We found two of these in my Gram's house when we were cleaning it out last summer (she collected everything and anything). I have this one and my cousin has the other. This is about 13.5' high and pretty heavy for such a delicate looking piece. I did a little homework on ivory and I think this may be real ivory...... It is heavy, cold to the touch, very smooth and solid cream color without any lines, marks or cracks and it didn't melt when I poked it with a hot needle. I'm a bit uncomfortable owning a piece of ivory even if it's an antique - I've found some conflicting information about the legality of it - I really appreciate any help and comments.
Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23726331

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Asian Woman Statue - I think real Ivory?

Antique or vintage ivory is not a problem. For decades piano keys were covered with ivory. I have a piece of scrimshaw done on a whale tooth. It is not illegal to own your piece if in fact it is ivory.

I do have some question about the whiteness of the piece. Real ivory is not as a rule as white as your picture indicates. It also tends to yellow with age.

o

I don't see why you should worry about the legality--no one is going to burst into your house and denounce you. If you don't like it, sell it.

o

Have you carefully inspected it with a magnifying glass? We did find a 'signature' on an ivory Roman lady statue.

o

hmm - Ivory has a very subtle, but distinct 'grain' to it, much like wood - something these pics are not close enough to show, however.

it's also very pale, and shows no patination.

as to the burn test - ivory does not melt, but it does smell a bit like burning hair.

oh the other hand, good faux-ivory work nothing to be sneered at - and it is a nice piece : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here