Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would Like Info on This Vase/Jar

Posted by country_bumpkin_al (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 22:31

It belongs to a friend that wanted me to see if I could find out anything about it. I didn't measure it..but it's BIG!

Marking on Bottom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would Like Info on This Vase/Jar

It's a "ginger jar" a form found in Chinese porcelain and also in English pottery and porcelain....probably due to the influence of Chinese export porcelain.
It looks to be hand painted, The picture of the bottom is so out of focus that I can't tell if it's porcelain or pottery.

o

Linda...I've taken and uploaded some more pictures. Since there's so many (7) I going to provide a link to the PhotoBucket album, instead of uploading them here. Maybe you can tell more from these pictures. I know he's wanting to sell it and is mainly interested in if it's worth much..if anything.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ginger Jar

o

I know local potteries also did ginger jars, because I have a couple from when I was working at Nelson McCoy. The one you have is quite lovely and is hand decorated pottery and looks rather heavy for its size. Since it is large....it may be a funerary urn.

o

I don't "know"....but if I had to guess I would say it's Chinese high fired stoneware dating from about 1900 and very nicely done for the period.
And I think I would find someone to take it to who knows more about Chinese stoneware/porcelain than I do.. before selling it.
Linda C

o

I don't think the flower arrangement looks Asian but that's just my opinion with nothing to back it up. Of course it could have been made in China for export using an 'Americanized' design which would be in line with LindaC's date.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here