Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aeb78

Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen

aeb78
11 years ago

Hello!
I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista pink china from my grandmother. I have no intention of selling any of the pieces but in researching the history I have run into a bit of a mystery.

I have a large round (not square or angled in any way) soup tureen, lid, and plate. The handles on the tureen and lid are all shaped like koi. The bottom mark dates it as an early piece (1800s). Ive combed site after site for a couple of years now and have had no luck in finding a tureen even similar. Can anyone shed some light on the history and worth of this piece?
Thanks in advance for any info!!

This post was edited by aeb78 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 16:38

Comments (14)

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

" The handles on the tureen and lid are all shaped like koi"

That's a "dolphin" not a koi ... try that in a search.

• aeb78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh fantastic! I had no idea what they were just assumed. Thanks for the new search point!

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

That pattern seems to be applied to tureens of different shapes and handle styles. It was popular for over a century. The handles look more delicate (and therefore harder to make) than the fatter "fish" or the plain arched band I've found.

Those creatures are also called "dragons" by some people.

Also remember that Mason made true porcelain as well as ironstone, so you might have a mix of ironstone and porcelain.

You might have better luck asking on a forum dedicated to transferware in general, or Mason transferware exclusively.

http://www.masonscc.co.uk/

List of books:
    http://www.mason2ashworth.co.uk/publications.html

• aeb78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for the links and information! I've learned bits and pieces about Mason transferware in general but I am quite obviously still learning. I really appreciate your help you have definitely given me some sources I haven't tried.

Thank you so much again!

• texasredhead
    11 years ago

I have seen this tureen in a couple of higher end antique shops in the $ 350-400 range.

• Casie Kreiner
    8 years ago

wow very pretty I have never seen this piece before there so pretty

• Casie Kreiner
    8 years ago

if your looking for more pieces try ebay or etsy or replacements.com

• lindac92
    8 years ago

Wanda, your tureen is different from the OP's tureen. Your's is the more common style, bringing about $300 to possibly $400 if everything is there....the OP's tureen is the round one with the dolphin handles.....very rare....worth well more than $1,000 is in perfect condition.

• PRO
    Wanda S. Horton Interior Design, LLC
    8 years ago
    lindac92 -If you look to the far right in my photo, you will see I have the exact tureen of the original poster. I think you must be looking at my sauce tureen, instead. I have the round chowder tureen.
  • lindac92
    8 years ago

Oh yeah!!! How could I miss that!!! ( lust!! Envy!)
    I have lots of Mason's Pink Vista....but alas....no soup tureen!

• vintageliving
    8 years ago

Beautiful aeb78. Enjoy it.

• mrs_lisa_oliver
    4 years ago

Those are really interesting looking. My grandma had red and white dishes like that and I inherited a few. I like the fish/dolphin handles. Is anyone interested in selling? I don't know how to send messages here :-D

• PRO
    Wanda S. Horton Interior Design, LLC
    4 years ago

@mrs_lisa_oliver - I'm not looking at selling any of my pieces; however, if you go to Nancy's Daily Dish, Ebay, or even Replacements, Ltd, you can often find these pieces for sale.