Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen

Posted by aeb78 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 13 at 22:01

Hello!
I have inherited a great deal of Masons vista pink china from my grandmother. I have no intention of selling any of the pieces but in researching the history I have run into a bit of a mystery.

I have a large round (not square or angled in any way) soup tureen, lid, and plate. The handles on the tureen and lid are all shaped like koi. The bottom mark dates it as an early piece (1800s). Ive combed site after site for a couple of years now and have had no luck in finding a tureen even similar. Can anyone shed some light on the history and worth of this piece?
Thanks in advance for any info!!

This post was edited by aeb78 on Tue, Apr 2, 13 at 16:38

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Early Masons Vista Pink Soup Tureen

" The handles on the tureen and lid are all shaped like koi"

That's a "dolphin" not a koi ... try that in a search.

o

Oh fantastic! I had no idea what they were just assumed. Thanks for the new search point!

o

That pattern seems to be applied to tureens of different shapes and handle styles. It was popular for over a century. The handles look more delicate (and therefore harder to make) than the fatter "fish" or the plain arched band I've found.

Those creatures are also called "dragons" by some people.

Also remember that Mason made true porcelain as well as ironstone, so you might have a mix of ironstone and porcelain.

You might have better luck asking on a forum dedicated to transferware in general, or Mason transferware exclusively.

http://www.masonscc.co.uk/

List of books:
http://www.mason2ashworth.co.uk/publications.html

o

Thank you for the links and information! I've learned bits and pieces about Mason transferware in general but I am quite obviously still learning. I really appreciate your help you have definitely given me some sources I haven't tried.

Thank you so much again!

o

I have seen this tureen in a couple of higher end antique shops in the $ 350-400 range.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here