Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephhh_gw

Vintage gossip bench / telephone table - light turnson when u sit

stephhh
14 years ago

Hi! I just bought this adorable gossip bench/telephone table. I'm guessing it's from the 40s, but not sure. Anyone know? The wood veneer is peeling in spots--I definitely want to reupholster the seat, but I'm not sure if I want to paint the wood or leave as is. The best part: The built in light turns on when you sit down. It still works!!

See picture here: http://lazylosangeles.blogspot.com/2010/03/love.html

Comments (5)

• stephhh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, also I'd like to paint the metal of the lamp. It's a little gross and rusted looking. I'd like to bring it back to a shinier metal...maybe silver. Any suggestions on how to do this? Spray paint?

With a prettier metal finish on the lamp and new upholstery on the seat cushion, I might leave the wood unpainted. The veneer has seen better days, though. Can you use wood polish on wood veneer? Would that be a good option? Or should I sand and paint?

Thanks guys!

• lindac
    14 years ago

Oh cute cute!!
    I would upholster but not change the finish....and I wouldn't paint the lamp....leave it as authentic as possible.
    If you paint it you make it look like something you bought at a thrift shop to make do until you can find something else....by leaving it authentic in color and finish, that makes it a real collector's item.
    Where is the switch to turn on when you sit?
    It's really nice...
    Linda C

• Fori
    14 years ago

That's great!

I feel bad but I must admit the first thing that occurred to me was "how can you hook up an electric whoopie cushion to that" which of course is silly since whoopie cushions don't need electricity.

Can you sand off the rust at all? And I agree--don't paint it. Even with scruffy veneer, it'll look better than painted. I just can't picture it looking good in any color!

• pris
    14 years ago

Could you wipe some Ospho on it to kill the rust? Might not be as invasive as sanding.

• jeff1032_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I am interested in a vintage gossip or telephone bench. Please contact me and do you have a picture of the item.
    Thanks
    Kathleen