Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rocker : ID & Care ?

Posted by dlm2000 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 24, 11 at 21:19

I bought this rocker many years ago - probably 20 - at a garage sale. Loved the lines then, still do. Haven't a clue what it is, how old, the wood, etc. Over the years I've done nothing more than dust it and wonder if there's anything I can do to perk it up a bit. Clean with mineral spirits (after checking underneath to see what happens?) then wax, perhaps? There are no markings on it that I can find. Do you think it's an American piece? I am clueless about where to begin looking for info - googling "rocker" isn't likely to get me anywhere!

Any information is appreciated, as always. And as usual, I err on the side of too many pictures rather than too few!
Deb

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rocker : ID & Care ?

Can't tell you much but the look of the backrest is familiar to me. My aunt had a dining room buffet that had that same pattern in the wood. That was back in early 1950's & was old then. I love the rocker,looks very well made & comfortable!

o

Thanks, sunnyca - it's a favorite piece of mine. It's very comfortable, until I lean my head back - the decorative cut out part hits me in the wrong place!

Hoping one of the furniture and/or wood gurus can give me some info.

o

The wood is quarter sawn oak, with a mahogany stain.
I can't put a name on the style....but based on the mahogany stain on oak and something about the look of the angle,rake, of the legs I might guess 1910 to 1920.
What do you mean "perk it up"...looks fine to me. But you can do no harm cleaning with mineral spirits and giving it a good coat of paste wax

o

Thanks, Linda - I would not have guessed oak. Do you think it's an American piece? I always think of it as English but that's not based on anything, just a feeling. It probably doesn't show in the pictures but the finish, whatever it is, is quite worn. There are places that have a slightly hazy, dull look. As long as it won't hurt it, I'd just like to clean it up a bit and give it a bit of a glow, nothing dramatic.

o

It could possibly be mahogany veneer....I can't see well enough to see the openness of the grain.
Perhaps it has been cleaned with something like "orange-glo" which will haze old finishes.
Try cleaning with mineral spirits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here