Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone tell me more about this 2 foot tall table?

Posted by jlc102482 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 12 at 20:40

This is the first of two questions I've got for the antique gurus here tonight:

I have a little antique table that has always stumped me. It's small, less than 2 feet high and barely 2 feet across. It's been painted black, but where the paint is chipped, you can see that the top is a pretty grained hardwood inlaid in a parquet fashion (4 triangles that form a square.)

Can anyone tell me what it might have been used for, given its small size and low height, and also an approximate age?

Front:
front

Side:
side

Shape of top:

Close up of parquet and grain:
grain

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone tell me more about this 2 foot tall table?

Coffee/Tea Table?

By the way, your floor is beautiful.

o

Thanks for the complement about the floors! We love them too, even though they make the cats slide around when they're trying to run. ;)

I was thinking something along the lines of tea table too, jem. Do you have any idea of its age? I am not familiar with this type of design at all.

o

A tea table is tall...closer to 32 inches tall.
What you have is a side table...or a lamp table, likely dating about 1940 when such tables were popular.
Not sure how you can know it's a parquet top from just a few chips.....but I do think it's worth stripping and refinishing.
Linda c

o

Thanks, Linda! I should have mentioned that you can see the inlay design of the wood through the paint. Actually, I'm not even sure it's paint because it's a little sheer and shiny. Either way, it will come off - eventually. This is one of those projects that I've been meaning to get to for a few years now...

o

I also think, despite the fanciness, this is a 20th century piece. I would move it back a bit however, to as early as thirties. That's when you started to see the larger lamp tables with the fancy turnings and wood inlay tops showing up in catalogues and this is along the same vein.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here