Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bungalow975

3-legged ceramic gargoyle?

bungalow975
12 years ago

I acquired this oddity about 15 years ago at an auction. Its ugliness has grown on me over the years, but I am stumped as to its actual purpose. It isn't a planter, since the corners of the mouth are open. I have only used it for potpourri, but would really like to know what it is. Does anyone have any ideas? Anyone familiar with the maker's mark?

[img]

[\img]

[img]
[\img]

[img]
[\img]

Comments (9)

• mfrog
    12 years ago

Burmantofts, 1882-1904, don't know what it is, but I like it!
    I just checked all my Millers & art pottery books, I don't see him anywhere.

• bungalow975
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you so much! I found several on Google images--it is a 3-legged faience toad vase, and dates from the late 1890s. I would never have found this without your help! I'm gratified to know that I can justify its prominent place in my living room. âº

• mfrog
    12 years ago

You're very welcome, it's always nice to see a good piece. I don't get to see much Burmantofts, I'd love to have one in my collection.

• Fori
    12 years ago

He's disturbingly wonderful!

Can't you stick a Venus flytrap in him or something? Potpourri seems so tame.

• bungalow975
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Haha! I should use him for something more exciting, not to mention species-appropriate!

• bungalow975
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to mfrog's identification of this piece, I've been able to research it a little. I am confused about the number on the bottom, though. I found several other toad vases, including two that sold at Christie's for $300(!) 7 years ago. They have the same number as mine (583), but are not exactly alike. What does the number signify? I thought it was similar to a model number, but the same number appears on at least three different pieces. Also, is it possible to date a piece with this number? Thank you!

• mfrog
    12 years ago

I have the same issue with Minton secessionist pieces, quite a few have the same number on the bottom which doesn't correspond to the shape or date. I think unless you found someone who was very well versed on Burmantoff's manufacturing you could be searching for years for an answer.

I'm not surprised that it sold for $300, unusual always sells well & Burmantoff's is very hard to come by.

• bungalow975
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you, mfrog, you've been very helpful. I have an additional question for you: what is the incised circle with a dot in the center that appears with the maker's mark? By the way, the $300 was, I believe, for two vases--still quite a lot

• mfrog
    12 years ago

That's probably the actual date code, or could be the glazers mark, but I don't know for sure. There is a book on Burmantoft's written by an avid collector which you might be able to get from the library.