Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
refinish chair?

Posted by emchouffe (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 1, 11 at 20:21

Hi;

I found this chair and am planning on hand caning it myself. Was wondering if I should refinish it before and if so what you would suggest.

chair is carved, possibly walnut, hand caned.

Any other info would be great too! thanks!

Mar 1, 2011

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: refinish chair?

Doesn't look like it needs to be re-finished to me....great chair...
I don't think it's walnut...can't see close enough to see the grain...but I don't think so.
Both chairs are great.
Ever caned a seat before?...not rocket science...just tedious!
Post pictures of the finished product!
Linda C

o

thanks for the response! Maybe I'm looking for something to add shine? not a total refinish. Or a good cleaning may help.

I haven't caned a seat before and was hoping these were both machine caned so I could just buy the premade web and attach. no such luck! Thanks for the warning!

I added a couple closeups of the wood if you feel like venturing a guess! the color is more of a brown/grey.

Mar 1, 2011

o

I think you will be happier if you cane it. I would give it a try if I had those chairs even though I have never done it. Check out instructions online or at the library.

o

Any finishing or cleaning should be done prior to caning & it needs a hand caned seat - it's not that hard, just time consuming & requires patience. Holes around the seat are required for hand caning & a groove around the edge indicates it needs machine pre-woven cane.

o

It looks like it has no finish on it at all....I guess I would perhaps rub on some stain and put on a couple of coats of the finish of your choice.
I would use a varnish rather than shellac or lacquer as a finish because you will be working with water when you cane it and the water may cloud a shellac or lacquer.

Sorry, I can't tell you what kind of wood it is...not open enough grain for walnut...too open for birch or maple.

I hope you won't "cheat" and get plastic caning...
It's easier in that you don't have to soak it...but looks like plastic...I guess because it is!!
Good luck!
Linda C

o

Hi all thanks for the responses!
I am planning on hand caning using natural rattan cane. And will try using a varnish (thanks linda c!). And will post pics when they're both completed! Thanks again everyone, and I'm still accepting guesses on the type of wood!

o

And....feel free to post an "AARGH!" here while you are in the middle of caning! LOL!
Remember you will have 6 pieces of cane in each hole....so buy the proper size cane.
Good luck.
As has been said, nor rocket science but fiddley!

o

Oh Linda, I'd forgotten that cane comes in sizes - of course it's probably been 35+ years since I had any dealings with it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here