Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emchouffe

refinish chair?

emchouffe
13 years ago

Hi;

I found this chair and am planning on hand caning it myself. Was wondering if I should refinish it before and if so what you would suggest.

chair is carved, possibly walnut, hand caned.

Any other info would be great too! thanks!

Mar 1, 2011

Comments (8)

• lindac
    13 years ago

Doesn't look like it needs to be re-finished to me....great chair...
    I don't think it's walnut...can't see close enough to see the grain...but I don't think so.
    Both chairs are great.
    Ever caned a seat before?...not rocket science...just tedious!
    Post pictures of the finished product!
    Linda C

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the response! Maybe I'm looking for something to add shine? not a total refinish. Or a good cleaning may help.

I haven't caned a seat before and was hoping these were both machine caned so I could just buy the premade web and attach. no such luck! Thanks for the warning!

I added a couple closeups of the wood if you feel like venturing a guess! the color is more of a brown/grey.

Mar 1, 2011

• sheilajoyce_gw
    13 years ago

I think you will be happier if you cane it. I would give it a try if I had those chairs even though I have never done it. Check out instructions online or at the library.

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Any finishing or cleaning should be done prior to caning & it needs a hand caned seat - it's not that hard, just time consuming & requires patience. Holes around the seat are required for hand caning & a groove around the edge indicates it needs machine pre-woven cane.

• lindac
    13 years ago

It looks like it has no finish on it at all....I guess I would perhaps rub on some stain and put on a couple of coats of the finish of your choice.
    I would use a varnish rather than shellac or lacquer as a finish because you will be working with water when you cane it and the water may cloud a shellac or lacquer.

Sorry, I can't tell you what kind of wood it is...not open enough grain for walnut...too open for birch or maple.

I hope you won't "cheat" and get plastic caning...
    It's easier in that you don't have to soak it...but looks like plastic...I guess because it is!!
    Good luck!
    Linda C

• emchouffe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all thanks for the responses!
    I am planning on hand caning using natural rattan cane. And will try using a varnish (thanks linda c!). And will post pics when they're both completed! Thanks again everyone, and I'm still accepting guesses on the type of wood!

• lindac
    13 years ago

And....feel free to post an "AARGH!" here while you are in the middle of caning! LOL!
    Remember you will have 6 pieces of cane in each hole....so buy the proper size cane.
    Good luck.
    As has been said, nor rocket science but fiddley!

• antiquesilver
    13 years ago

Oh Linda, I'd forgotten that cane comes in sizes - of course it's probably been 35+ years since I had any dealings with it!