Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP! Is it valuable?

Posted by decor2livein (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 19:38

Help! I just bought this piece at a local antique and collectibles store, and I will admit to having no knowledge on the subject of antiques. It has storage on the bottoms and spins, and I purchased it because I liked the look and was planning on using it in my daughter's room to put her legos on/in. My plan was also to paint it white. When I got it home I noticed the tag on the top of one shelf. If anyone knows anything about this piece I would love to hear about it. Also any opinions on the question of -To paint or not to paint?- are more than welcome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP! Is it valuable?

Sorry, here is the actual piece. There are 4 openings around the bottom, one per side. Thank you!

o

Here is some information I came across online about the manufacturer....

STRANGE SPELLINGS

Question: We own a small wooden table with two drop leaves. It has a label under it that reads: "This piece was handmade in the workfhops of Charak Furniture Co., Bofton, Mafs. It is numbered 64. Made in year 1931." Why is the letter "f" used instead of "s"?

Answer: The letter that appears to be a lowercase "f" is a "long s," used in longhand 200 years ago. The Charak Furniture Co. probably used the long "s" on its furniture labels to imitate older, handwritten labels. Charak was in business from about 1928 until the 1950s, manufacturing modern-style furniture as well as reproductions of early American furniture styles. Charak chests, tables and buffets sell for a range of prices, depending on style and condition. Some sell for a few hundred dollars, others for more than $1,000.

o

If you don't like it as it is go ahead and paint it. I would not hesitate to paint it for cute lego storage.

It won't be a "real" antique til 2035.

ML

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here