Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying 'Original' Book

Posted by garlicjim (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 19:36

I have an Elmer Kelton book, which I'm convinced is an original 1971 printing, but someone said it is most probably a book club printing.

Today while visiting with another seller, she told me that it is easy to spot an original: that the pages were stitched in and those thereafter were glued.

Any confirmation??

Thanks a bunch,

Jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying 'Original' Book

By "original book" do you mean a "first edition" or something else?

o

As a rule, First Edition of books are clearly marked including the printer of the book such Doubleday. Editionsof books by various book clubs are not first editions. Also, pay attention to the title of "first Edition English Printing. This is not the origional first Edition of the book printed first in a foreign language.

o

It's usually clearly indicated on the same page as the copyright. What does all that text say?

Be aware that ALL books have a first edition. Whehter or not that becomes a valuable book depends on many factors.

o

I have several first edition books and they certainly are not valuable. However, a first edition of Earnest Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast", is a different story.

o

I know this is a valuable book, "if" it is the original. If not, it's a $10 book probably. It's "The Day The Cowboys Quit, by Elmer Kelton.

Page says: "Copyright1972 by Ekmer Kelton
All Rights Reserved
Printed in the United States of America".
Attached is a picture of the book in the Jacket. The book itself is a black hardback. Use the same link to see the other picture "cowboys-1", etc.

The jacket itself does say it's a book club edition, but a few folks thought it was original. It's simply a matter of money to me. I rarely read fiction.

Thanks, everyone.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim's Page

o

Plain black binding is almost always a book club edition, but this book is described at a book site as "Hardcover, black cloth with white titles"

For a first edition, the publisher should be listed as "Doubleday" with print date of 1971.

o

Page before the copyright page says the title and author.
Below that it says: "doubleday & company inc
garden city, new york".

I didn't capitalize because that was the way it was printed in the book.

The title and author on the outside spine is in gold, not white.

Thanks a lot.

Jim

o

Your book is available on line signed by the author for around $50.00. Kelton was a dyed in the wool Texan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here