Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Product to blacken piano wood?

alisande
14 years ago

Some pieces of veneer are missing from the front corners of my piano, a 1920s Steinway grand. Until I can hire a decent woodworker to replace the veneer, I was thinking I might try to darken the exposed wood to make it less noticeable. Is that a reasonable thing to do?

If so, what could I use? The piano is black.

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• sombreuil_mongrel
    14 years ago

Try the black polish available from Kingdom Restorations. It's very black and dries instantly.
    Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Kingdom Restorations

• lindac
    14 years ago

India ink.......you don't want to use anything waxy because that may hinder the eventual "real" repair.
    You just want to dye the base wood...
    India ink!
    Linda C

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Black Marks-a-lot has worked wonders for me :^)

• Fori
    14 years ago

Marks-a-lot???? Are you kidding me????

I use a Sharpie. :)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Duh....I use it when I spill bleach on black jeans....never thought of it for furniture....and Sharpies come in colors!!

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Yeah, but after a few years, Sharpies fade.
    So in a few years, reapply ;-)

• Fori
    14 years ago

I had to use a brown Sharpie to cover up some paint slop (not mine!) (mostly) that I couldn't remove from some old old stained crown moulding. High ceilings are the best for that sort of touchup!

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I used a Sharpie some years ago, and wasn't all that happy with purple undertones in the black. I think I'll try the India ink this time.

I wonder how much it would cost to have the veneer replaced. And I wonder if veneer can be made to match the rest of the old wood. Shiny new black veneer would stand out like a sore thumb.....

• Fori
    14 years ago

It'll look better than a Sharpie!

• alisande
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't know we had Sharpie furniture markers! (They all appear to be brown, though.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharpie furniture markers on eBay

• Fori
    14 years ago

Hahaha. I know Min-Wax makes stain pens that can be handy but I didn't know Sharpie was getting in on it. Stain pens don't cover paint, so didn't work for my moulding. A good old fashioned India ink pen from an art/craft store might be the way to go for the piano. Test a leg first, of course!