Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Product to blacken piano wood?

Posted by alisande (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 30, 10 at 18:32

Some pieces of veneer are missing from the front corners of my piano, a 1920s Steinway grand. Until I can hire a decent woodworker to replace the veneer, I was thinking I might try to darken the exposed wood to make it less noticeable. Is that a reasonable thing to do?

If so, what could I use? The piano is black.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Product to blacken piano wood?

Try the black polish available from Kingdom Restorations. It's very black and dries instantly.
Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: Kingdom Restorations

o

India ink.......you don't want to use anything waxy because that may hinder the eventual "real" repair.
You just want to dye the base wood...
India ink!
Linda C

o

Black Marks-a-lot has worked wonders for me :^)

o

Marks-a-lot???? Are you kidding me????

I use a Sharpie. :)

o

Duh....I use it when I spill bleach on black jeans....never thought of it for furniture....and Sharpies come in colors!!

o

Yeah, but after a few years, Sharpies fade.
So in a few years, reapply ;-)

o

I had to use a brown Sharpie to cover up some paint slop (not mine!) (mostly) that I couldn't remove from some old old stained crown moulding. High ceilings are the best for that sort of touchup!

o

Thanks, everyone, for your input!

I used a Sharpie some years ago, and wasn't all that happy with purple undertones in the black. I think I'll try the India ink this time.

I wonder how much it would cost to have the veneer replaced. And I wonder if veneer can be made to match the rest of the old wood. Shiny new black veneer would stand out like a sore thumb.....

o

It'll look better than a Sharpie!

o

I didn't know we had Sharpie furniture markers! (They all appear to be brown, though.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharpie furniture markers on eBay

o

Hahaha. I know Min-Wax makes stain pens that can be handy but I didn't know Sharpie was getting in on it. Stain pens don't cover paint, so didn't work for my moulding. A good old fashioned India ink pen from an art/craft store might be the way to go for the piano. Test a leg first, of course!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Antiques & Collectibles Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here