Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark3871

Can anyone tell me about these chairs

mark3871
14 years ago

Got these chairs about five years ago. Just keep moving them around not sure what to do with them. Are they anything special, old or worth anything.

http://photos.gardenweb.com/home/galleries/2010/03/chairs.html?cat=my_favorite_room

Comments (10)

• lindac
    14 years ago

They look like 1960's hard maple early american stuff....but what's under the green cushions?
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: chairs

• mark3871
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • lindac
    14 years ago

Very nice chairs...well made and attractive...look like theya re about early 1960's..maybe Tell City...perhaps Kling...
    Good quality used furniture, not rare antiques....but some day they will be.
    Take the cushions off...I think you will like them better.
    Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful:

• suzygail
    14 years ago

Did the cushion have a hard back bottom on them? I wondering how to sit on them without the cushion?

• pris
    14 years ago

I wonder how to sit on it the "with" the cushion. Wouldn't it tend to sag or fall through the hole?

Was it caned at one time?

• lindac
    14 years ago

I'm sure the cushion is hard backed....there is no evidence that the chair was caned....that's why I wanted to see what was under the cushion.

• Fori
    14 years ago

Those would look wonderful with my grandmother's maple colonial style hutch thingy, probably also from the '60s. Some of the pieces from that period were just awful ugly colonialwannabes with bad proportions and shortcuts on trim. But those chairs (and my hutch) look nicely made (and maintained).

It would be a challenging DIY job to redo the cushions but if it would be easier to find a spot for them in your house in a different color, it might be worth having it done.

• mark3871
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The chairs had these cloth like straps that had medal on the ends that went into slots on the chair to hold them in place. The straps were in bad shape so I cut a piece of plywood to put over the hole. Not very comfortable now with the plywood. I tried looking online for some replacement straps but couldn't find anything like them. I had no idea what the proper name would be for the straps so maybe thats why I was unlucky finding some replacements.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Probably called "webbing" but I could well be wrong. A fabric store with some upholstery supplies will have it.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

Yup.

Here is a link that might be useful: upholstery webbing